TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

What type of person wants an apology "on your knees" for being

what type of person wants an apology on your knees for saying "I hate you" under anger?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like this is bordering on abuse. No one should ever ask you to apologize on your knees. By doing so, they are trying to humiliate you and make you feel bad about yourself. It is also a way to subjugate you, making them have control over you so you feel less than they are in terms of power in the relationship.

You are allowed to voice any opinion that you want, even including saying the word "hate". A person that has an objection to that word can have many responses to you using it including walking out of the room, asking you nicely to not say it or not saying anything at all. But whatever their response, they need to take ownership of their own feelings and not try to "punish" you for saying a word they don't like.

If this behavior is typical of this person, you may want to reconsider the relationship. This response is not a healthy one, and could end up with you being abused emotionally and/or physically. If you can, get support from others such as family or friends, or even a domestic abuse hotline. You deserve better than to be treated in an abusive way.

I hope this has helped you,