TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

what does it mean, in general terms, when a man ignores the

what does it mean, in general terms, when a man ignores the woman he is romantically involved with while they are present in the same room?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It usually means that the person is either abusive or that they may have a personality disorder, such as narcissism. Ignoring someone you love when in public is an insult directly to that person and it is also ignoring their feelings about it, and putting your own feelings first. Very few couples would be ok with ignoring each other in public in favor of talking to other people. It sends a signal that the other person is not important to you and that you would rather pretend they are not there. It also communicates this to others in the room, making them wonder what is wrong or giving them the idea that one or both of the partners are available to others.

I hope this has helped you,