TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My daughter attends University of Iowa. She is a sophmore

My daughter attends University of Iowa. She is a sophmore now majoring in Human Psysiology and wants to become a Physical Therapist. She has dealt with depression, anxiety for several years, she is 19. She has seen a psychiatrist and she is presently on Celexa 20 mg (generic). She has been home for Thaksgiving and has expressed feelings of complete sadness and no interest in anything. I am scared for her. I am scared. She is a wonderful person who always takes charge of everyone around her with helping out. She does well in school but she is 3 hours from home. Last nite she told me she has thoughts of suicide but would never do anything because of all the family and friends who lover her. She said she is not selfish. I want to get her to a psychiatrist near school and she wants to go too but because of her heavy school load says she never has time. Her classes are so hard. I know she is of age but as her parent I neeed to help her along. How do I go about this?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It can be very difficult when you have a child who is experiencing these types of symptoms and she is far away, where you cannot be there for her. However, there are several positive points in your daughter's situation. One, she is being open and honest with you about her feelings. That right there is a good sign. Anytime a child is willing to share and tell you their deepest concerns, that means they feel a connection and know they can trust you. Two, your daughter is aware of her feelings and knows the boundaries. She knows she feels bad and wants help. And three, she is coping as well as possible at this point. She has good insight and is doing what she can to deal with the situation.

Even though this is all good, helping your daughter with how she feels is a priority. If she is unable to meet with a psychiatrist near her school, she may consider talking to someone in the school's counseling center. She could get therapy there and it would not be far for her to go. And the counselors there would be understanding of her schedule.

Also, she may want to try self help. Resources and on line support can be invaluable. And she can have this support anytime she feels the need to talk to someone, day or night. Here are some resources to get her started:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Depression/Support_Groups/

http://depression.supportgroups.com/

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

In helping your daughter, it can be stressful because you are concerned and worried. It can help you to learn more about depression and how you can help your daughter. Here are some links for you:

www.nami.org

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/living_depressed_person.htm

It may also help to ask your daughter to contact you anytime she feels worse or just needs to talk. As long as she as that link, she knows she has a place to turn. And remind her that the stress she is under can be helped by breaks and down time. She is under a lot of pressure now so knowing that she has "permission" to take a break and that it is ok to fail sometimes may help lift her depression.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!