TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

"FOR KATE McCOY ONLY PLEASE" ADHD is a learning disability,

"FOR KATE McCOY ONLY PLEASE"

ADHD is a learning disability, right?

How can I find out whether or not I have ADHD?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello, and thank you for requesting my help.

ADHD is not considered a learning disability. For adults who have the disorder, it is characterized by trouble concentrating, organizing tasks, remembering information and completing work on time. Up to 10% of children are diagnosed with ADHD and 60% of those carry the disorder into adulthood. \

The criteria for Adult ADHD is different than with children. Here are some common symptoms you might experience with the disorder:

Anxiety
Chronic boredom
Relationship problems or Marital Difficulties
Impulsiveness
Tendency to overlook details
Not paying attention during conversations, inability to listen well (in any conversation)
Easily distracted
Emotional difficulties
Impulsivity

Medications can do wonders. The medications work by stimulating the pre frontal cortex of the brain. This area of the brain remains in a less mature state (ability to organize) and has trouble dealing with the impulses from the central part of the brain where wants and desires emerge. The medication simply "wakes up" the pre frontal cortex further and allows it to function as it should.

These medications do have some side effects such as possible sleep issues and changes in appetite. However, for short term use, they are usually considered safe.
To find out if you have ADHD, an evaluation with a mental health therapist (Master's level or above) can provide you with a diagnosis and treatment options. Talk to your doctor about a referral, or you can search on line for a therapist at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php.

You can also use self help and support groups to help control your symptoms, if you have ADHD. Here are some resources to help:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

http://www.add.org/

You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder by Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo and Edward M. M.D. Hallowell

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

PS I need to step out for a while so if you reply, I will be back in a few hours to respond.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If one does see a psychiatrist or psychologist to see if he/she has ADHD or not, it will be a simple matter where either they will say that the client has it or doesn't have it, and if the client does have it, the mental health therapist will do something like either recommend a book for the client to read or prescribe the client a prescription on how to conquer it, right? It's not the kind of test where one can do so poorly on and one thing can lead to another and where the client can end up in a psychiatric hospital or something like that, is it?

No, there would have to be other issues and another diagnosis for that to happen. ADHD is not a diagnosis that requires anyone to enter a hospital. It is a treatable disorder that responds to medication, behavioral modification therapy and self help. And many people walk around with it and don't even know they have it. So most cases are not that severe. And if they are, medication can address the symptoms until the person can get the symptoms under control.

Kate

Thank you very much for the rating and bonus. It was good to talk with you again. Take care.

Kate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome. You give outstanding and excellent service.

You just made my day! Thank you :)