Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, possibly because I feel a bit

Dear Dr. Keane, possibly because I feel a bit insecure at the moment with what's gone on at writers group, but what do you make of my nature? I sent my resignation by the way...some interesting responses, some nice ones too granted but it's nice to think that none of that matters as much as it once did now and it's dealt with. I've been thinking so much about other things in my life too such as the future and what I should perhaps do with it, but not sure if my thoughts are sensible or not and it's a bit daunting at times to think about the future, more than it used to be. There seems to be so many new things I want to ask you about.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, just missed you, sorry.

Customer:

hi

Dr.Keane :

I am glad that your found the responses to your resignation "interesting" that piqued my interest!

Dr.Keane :

hi

Dr.Keane :

The angst that you are feeling or the thoughts about the future are you way of transitioning to whatever is next in your life. Anxiety and worry is the way you USE TO respond, right?

Customer:

right

Dr.Keane :

see the pattern? look how much you have learned!!

Customer:

yes

Dr.Keane :

So you have to let this settle for a day or so, don't get too immersed in thinking. Just be. Then you can set your course for the next project/hobby/job/writing.

Customer:

sorry

Dr.Keane :

about what???

Dr.Keane :

It's getting late for you....

Customer:

I'm not great at typing at the moment as it's been a very busy day

Customer:

but also a very good day.

Customer:

yes it is getting a bit late for me.

Dr.Keane :

I figured since it's late you may be a bit tired, glad you had a good day, busy or not.

Customer:

but didn't want to miss you

Dr.Keane :

:0

Dr.Keane :

What is a bit insecure all about? do you mean anxiety because you actually stood up for yourself? I say good for you, not insecure at all.

Customer:

yes I think so.

Dr.Keane :

look at it from that viewpoint and you'll feel good about it and yourself.

Customer:

I had initially. It was all a relief as soon as I handed in my resignation.

Dr.Keane :

Look at how far you have come and the confidence you have gained.

Dr.Keane :

As far as the future being daunting, I think we all feel that way at times because it is.

Dr.Keane :

big fat stressful weight suddenly lifted off your shoulders, has to feel good.

Customer:

maybe with the confidence thing, that's what's so weird at times, and then I hold back a bit.

Customer:

yes it does feel a bit good and I'm still friends with one of the people who was actually nice so I'm looking on that as a positive.

Dr.Keane :

you second guess yourself but much much better at regulating anxiety than you were, remember take little steps....you are a great student! If this were a classroom, you'd have an A for the work done.

Customer:

that is very kind of you.

Dr.Keane :

well it's true, see if you have any of the "early" posts you wrote and the confidence concerns...huge difference between then and now.

Dr.Keane :

I don't have them but I remember them.

Customer:

I do sometimes read over the earlier posts.

Customer:

I know I was a mess.....One week fine, everything worked out and then suddenly not fine at all.

Dr.Keane :

Yes, but good news is that you aren't anymore. You took risks, you opened up to people, you took care of you and that is how it's done. Boost your self confidence and look forward, not back.

Customer:

well I'm glad to have your help that's for sure.

Dr.Keane :

glad to be able to help and glad I was online for a change when you were!!!

Customer:

and you didn't answer an earlier question. I had been wondering if it was still ok to chat to you, say even if it's into next year?

Customer:

thank you!

Customer:

I mostly figure that at somepoint we'll be online at the same time. When I do post I do try to be here and wait for as long as I can.

Dr.Keane :

I am not going anywhere.

Customer:

:)

Customer:

thank you!

Dr.Keane :

You are welcome. I am off to dinner in a bit so I will say good night. You said you have some new things to talk about so let me know what they are and we'll catch up during the week to chat. I should be on a bit more this week than I have been.

Customer:

okay, well I'll be less tired then too. Enjoy your dinner!

Dr.Keane :

thank, have a good night sleep!

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.