Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

i have had numerous bouts of major depression and have been

i have had numerous bouts of major depression and have been Dx with dysthymia. It seems I have a difficult time at work , since I am considered  to move slower than most and it has/is causing me conern, since I can't seem to keep pace with employers expectations. Is this a valid concern? I am trying Mindfulness Meditation at present and have tried different tx modalities over the last twenty years. Has mindfulness practice been shown to be efficacous?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hello, I am available to assist you

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Mindfulness meditation, from my 20 plus years in the field, is very effective when practiced. Many start the practice, quickly decide, "I can't do this", and give it up. It's taken us years to catch up to the Eastern and wise ways.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

We are using the meditation much more often treating a variety of symptoms. It's a good tool to teach emotion regulation, relaxation, reduce anxiety.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You said you move "slower". I'd say you are at a good pace and the rest of "us" are going way too fast.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It sounds like you've participated in a variety of interventions, you sound motivated to continue to better yourself, find some peace and calm.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It does take a commitment, practice, and time to gain the full effectiveness

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Our minds are over active, and meditation can quiet the mind.

Customer:

You didn't answer my question about being physically slower than most people due to my depression. Is this normal?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Can you tell me a bit more about this- can be a side effect of ssri's

Customer:

I have had two employers and both have stated that I am "slow" in performing my job, while I feel I am working at a pace I can handle. Do people who have struggled with depression tend to move as I do or is this attributable to something else? Have not been on

Jean N/20pluscounts :

The good and the bad with antidepressants- can ease depression but can sedate too. If you've had a physical and ruled out other explanations for the motor delay, it is likely part of the depression- yes normal.

Customer:

Is there a way to overcome this condition?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Is this slower pace anything new, are you able to estimate how long you've moved or worked at a slower pace?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

I think we are wired to move at a particular pace- many jobs require "production" and it doesn't work for all.

Customer:

About 2 years duration. Not on SSRI's @ present but I do experience bouts depression off and on. I have been doing mindfulness for ~1 year and find it valuable for thought disruption for a short time. I am 57 years old but I feel as though there is a mental component that is impeding my physical pace.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Have you had a physical in the past year? Want to be sure to rule out certain things too. Are you able to exercise, to be physically active? Doing some physical conditioning work if you are able may help with overall energy. There are "brain game" programs to strengthen, sharpen our thinking, and you can find these on line. Brain exercises are shown to promote the growth of brain cells. Those types of exercises may help prevent memory issues later.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Does it have anything to do with concentration, attention?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Talking to a medical doctor, and if all is ruled out, dr. may consider a neuro-psychological evaluation, to better pin point what is going on.

Customer:

I have always had trouble keeping my focus for any length of time. I have arthritis and other aches and pains but can exercise with a bike since it is low impact. I have noticed self talk alot more since doing mindfulness and I do believe self talk has a role.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Do you think the mindfulness slows you down too much?

Customer:

No. I think if I could achieve present moment awareness I would benefit from that greatly since most of my life, my thoughts have dictate and controlled my emotions. Maybe I'll look into this Neuro-psychological eval. Do general practioners perform this?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

If I saw someone in my practice reporting similar issues- I'd want to rule out brain/neuro. and would refer for such. Typically you would need a referral from a primary care doctor.

Customer:

Thanks for your time. I will pursue this further. Thanks for the info.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

The mind and body are often still a mystery- a puzzle to figure out sometimes. You are welcome- I hope you find what you need.

Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience: Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)