Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

wondering....................is it normal to feel good when

Customer Question

wondering....................is it normal to feel good when looking at tummies and watching people rub their tummies?  is it normal to be obsessed with tummies?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Being focused on tummies and feeling good when someone rubs their tummy is often a sign of an obsession. How far that obsession goes depends very much on whether or not the thoughts about tummies and the need to see someone rub their tummy interferes with your daily life or not.

If you feel that you must see someone's tummy or see them rub it or you feel something is wrong, then you may have an obsessive behavior issue. But if it is just a nice sensation when you see someone rub their tummy, then it is most likely not a problem you need to worry about.

Obsessions of any kind can interfere in your ability to function in daily life. Obsessions are usually a sign of a diagnosis called OCD- Obsessive compulsive disorder. OCD can be controlled and managed well with medications and therapy.
Medications and therapy can provide you with the coping mechanisms you need to deal with your thoughts. And medications can help reduce the thoughts or possibly eliminate them. Talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Also, realize that the thoughts you are having are because you probably have OCD. This is a disorder caused by altered brain chemicals, and is not caused by you directly. This is not you but instead it is about your OCD.

Try to work on refocusing your thoughts. When the thoughts come into your mind, distract yourself. Find something that interests you and focus on it as long as you can.

Do not give your obsession meaning. The more you focus on it, the more importance you give it. So treat it like it's nothing. "It's only my thoughts. It does not mean anything". By using these techniques you can help yourself overcome the thoughts.

Also, self help can provide a way for you to learn more about whether or not you have OCD and how you can help yourself. Here are some resources to help:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/obsessive_compulsive_disorder_ocd.htm

http://www.ocfoundation.org/whatisocd.aspx

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm pretty sure I've got OCD and am looking for help with it..............It is definitely taking over my life and disturbing me. I've been struggling with this for years.......I don't know how I'm ever going to get over this obsession..........refocusing is really, really hard for me, but I'll keep trying. Thanks for the info. I'll look at the links you sent me

If you feel bad enough that your life is being interrupted, then it is probably OCD. In that case, there is treatment you can explore that will help you to feel better.

Also, use the self help resources and consider on line or in person support groups. There is no reason to suffer alone with this. And most importantly, know you are not alone. Many people suffer with OCD and experience obsessions of all kinds. Hang in there.

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks.............I'm doing my best.

You're welcome.

Take care, Kate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kate

I can't keep my hands or mind off my tummy...............what should/can I do?

The trick to dealing with the thoughts is to redirect them.Try distracting yourself. Go out and do something, call someone or make yourself busy in some way. Some people find it helpful to wear a rubber band on their wrist then lightly snap it when the thoughts bother them. Also, use your senses. Drink something cold or hot, touch something, smell a strong scent such as lemon etc. This directs your thoughts to something that grounds you.

Kate

I would be more than happy to continue working with you on any new questions you have. All I ask is that you remember to rate my answers for each new/different question you ask. Thanks!