Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
66147936

I was diagnosed several months ago with Dysthymia and PTSD

I was diagnosed several months ago with Dysthymia and PTSD (chronic - I've been suffering indiagnosed for 10 years) but new treatment center ignored diagnosis and treated me for addiction. I received no medication or therapy and now have lost my support system. As a result, I have also lost the small amount of trust I had gained in mental health professionals which is making it difficult for me to seek help again. I am afraid that I am slipping back into depression again.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hello, I can assist you. Welcome!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Thank you for your post tonight.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Are you interested in a live chat?

Customer:

sure

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Great!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

I'm sorry for your struggle and going so long with an accurate diagnosis

Customer:

My concern is that the circumstances that triggered the PTSD were repeated when I was misdiagnosed and received incorrect treatment. As a result of the misdiagnosis, the recommendation of the care providers was to take away everything that I had which is what happened. My family cleaned out my house and the contents were then subsequently stolen on the way to storage. They pretty much just left me here on my own and we have not spoken since I was able to get away from the place in early August. I am now living in another state in the same isolation that I was in back in the summer when I sought help for my ongoing problem. Can you tell me what the ramifications are for a person suffering from my condition who is mistreated and abused when trying to seek help for these conditions?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Glad to hear you finally got a diagnosis that fits and can get more specialized care. There are many people who suffer with PTSD and are diagnosed many other things before that one is given. PTSD symptoms can be similar to numerous other diagnosis. Like you said you have been re-traumatized, and it can also trigger the original trauma in how you are feelilng.

Customer:

I have been re-traumatized, and as a result the small amount of trust I gained at the first facility is gone. I know that I need to be on some kind of medication and psychotherapy, but after what happened to me I'm scared to death.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Being in isolation is not what you need right now. Support, support, support is what you need most. I'm sorry things turned out so terrible- yes, of course you are scared. Let me reassure you there's lots of good care providers out there- do not want you to lose hope- but yes you are afraid.

Customer:

My only choice at this point is the county health department. Does a psychiatrist also provide talk therapy or are they just for prescribing medication? Again, I have a major trust issue here and don't at this point feel comfortable telling several people my story over and over again. As a matter of fact, talking with you now is making me extremely uncomfortable, but I know that I need to get help to stop feeling this way. Then my fears over the medication kick in. I've never been on medication and I am afraid of how it will affect me. I've read several articles on side effects and I'm afraid that any type of medication will just put me over the edge which I obviously don't want.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

When you have put yourself out there for help, so vulnerable, and you are hurt in the process, again, I'm sorry, and that should not have happened. It does take great courage to reach out for the help, especially after what has happened. Remember the good treatment you had the first time, and finding something effective again is important. A psychiatrist is primarily psychotropic medication management. I'm really glad you posted tonight- as difficult as it is- trust that you need to reach out.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Medications can be effective, but yes, one has to consider side effects. It sometimes trying a couple of medications to find the one that best works.

Customer:

In your experience, aside from what I already know about my struggles with depression and ptsd, what kind of damage can happen to me psychologically as a result of the mistreatment if I can't afford help?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Typically the best treatment is a combination of the medication and therapy. It's perfectly okay for you to share your mistrust, apprehension with the next dr. or therapist that you see. I would hope they would be sensitive to your experience. I think it's important for you to seek the help you need, and deserve, even though you are so frightened.

Customer:

Is there a difference between an addiction psychiatrist and a "regular" psychiatrist?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Do not feel like you have to go it alone, you need others when you are struggling with PTSD and depression. I think the difference is simply that the addiction psychiatrist has specialized training in addictions as well as general psychiatry, while the more general psych. may not.

Customer:

Well it's the general psych that I need nevertheless; it was the addiction psychiatrist that failed to diagnose me properly because he specialized in addiction. And I know that this sounds really pathetic, but I really did lose my entire support system. The one or two people I have met since I moved to my new town are nice, but again here we go with trust issues. My ptsd is a result of trusting and being stomped on. And when I thought my family would finally be there for me they abandoned me on the advice of said addiction psych. So I have some major issues here just getting myself to seek help again.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Think about what was helpful the first time in treatment and try to find more of what helped. Let the dr. and therapist help re create what worked best for you. More than anything, sounds like the first treatment center was where they finally got the diagnosis correct, that's a big first step in getting the appropriate treatment. You are a survivor, and you did the right thing reaching out tonight, the brave thing, to reach out- takes courage.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

When you have been hurt, it's difficult to reach out again, but you did tonight, and I'm here to tell you, there is hope, there can be healing.

Customer:

Hope is all I have left. Thank you for talking with me. I will look into talking with a psychiatrist. I appreciate your help and kind words.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Feeling abandoned, isolated, alone, again, I'm sorry for your struggle. There are good people out there, professionals who do this work because they are senstiive and care.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hope is a good thing to have a bit of.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

I do wish you the best in finding the support you need to get on that road to healing and recovery.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Today is the first day of the rest of our lives- tomorrow is a new day.

Customer:

Thank you again.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

My pleasure- do take care!

Customer:

Yes - you too!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Thank you- glad you posted tonight.