TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Please help me i have depression and ocd I am suicidal, a couple of months ago i bought tw

Please help me i have depression and ocd I am suicidal, a couple of months ago i bought two kittens as i became obsessed with a youtube videos id seen of these really cute kittens and needed to get them after about a week i couldnt stop squezzing them until they started screaming i love animals which is why i gave them away to a god home a week later so i didnt harm the poor things any more i have never had any urge to hurt animals i have pets all my life and never done anything like this and the guilt males me want to kill myself i have also read a study that links anumal abuse to murder rape child sex abuse so now all i can think of is i am going to turn to one those please help please
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

What happened with the animals most likely had more to do with your feelings about them than you becoming a murderer or abuser. Because of your OCD and other issues, you most likely just became overly intense and your emotions became out of control. That does not mean you will suddenly become something you are not. It is easy for someone who has strong emotions to express them in an intense way.

Yes, there are studies linking animal abuse to people who become murders. But the big missing part here is that these people do not regret what they did. They simply see it as normal behavior and do not feel upset by what they do. And along with the animal abuse, there are other symptoms including bed wetting and fire setting. You do not have those symptoms and you are very upset by what happened. You knew that you felt out of control so you gave the animals away, a very good sign that you are just fine and not going to keep doing what you did.

You may want to talk to someone like a therapist or a trusted friend or family member about how you feel. You are distressed by what occurred and talking it out can help. Also, it sounds like your OCD symptoms may be increasing so seeing your doctor about any medication you could take or have increased might help you feel better about your situation.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

May I help you any further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for the reply that help a lot, but why did this happen in regards XXXXX XXXXX or cats i have been round dogs and others pets and had never done anything like this?

It most likely was a random thing. There is no particular reason you would feel that way towards kittens or cats as compared to dogs unless you had a certain history with them, such as being hurt by one as a child. But even then, that is not going to make you start abusing them. It may just have been because of something that happened outside of the kittens/cats that brought your emotions to that intensity.

If you have any difficulty rating your answer, please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you! Take care.