Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

an old friend living in Hammersmith is seriously depressed,

an old friend living in Hammersmith is seriously depressed, full of health fears, fear of dying,and things that would be dismissed by us-occasional raised heartbeat, breathlessness etc give him sleepless nights. I have take him to the theatre and exhibitions with subjects in which he is interested but the response afterwards will be "I didn't enjoy it I couldn't concentrate, I had a terrible pain in my side,head, name it.Usually a good conversationalist his main topic now is the state of his health.He keeps presenting at the doctors but strangely they don't seem to pick up on his mental state.Can one get him to an outpatients at a Ps unit without referral? If it wern't for his constant fear of death I would be fearful for his future

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. To answer your question regarding treatment, the only way to get your friend into treatment is if you decides to go with it. If he is suicidal or has intent of hurting others, then he may be involuntarily hospitalized. To convince your friend to see someone on an outpatient basis I suggest two things. First, inform him of your concerns of his symptoms. Describe to him that his current symptoms are similar to someone who may go see a doctor when they are ill. Second, offer going to the first appointment with him if he is nervous of going by himself. Please let me know if you have any questions.