Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am very concerned about my mental health. I am being told

I am very concerned about my mental health. I am being told by my partner that my recollection of conversations is not just wrong but it didnt even happen. but I remember them practically word for word in my mind. Can I get any kind of mental evaluation to check that my mind is not going. I am 49 female and seemingly sensible. Hold down a good job have an amazing son who is 21. This sounds so silly but I am genuinely concerned as according to my partner I made up the whole conversation that he told me he was leaving on Friday night and that we should be civil to each other as he needed a month to go and that he would sleep in the spare room until then.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’d like to help you with your question.

Making an appointment with your doctor is an excellent first step. You want to rule out any physical cause for what you are experiencing. And if no physical cause is found, you can concentrate on any emotional causes.

Although missing pieces of conversations may be a sign of an emotional issue or even a physical one, just making up an entire conversation is highly unlikely. That would indicate hallucinations or delusions, neither of which it sounds like you have. If you did have these symptoms, you would see signs of it in other areas of your life such as work and in your relationship with your son. But since this issue is occurring only with your partner, it sounds more like a relationship issue than anything else.

If your partner is indicating that you are making up whole conversations that you otherwise remember word for word or he is saying that you are misinterpreting your talks, then it may be that he doesn’t want you to think these conversations took place for some reason. And more than likely, that reason is not a good one. No one deliberately hurts their partner by confusing them and scaring them unless they want to. And if that is what your partner is doing, it is not a good sign for your relationship.

You also mentioned that he will be sleeping in the spare room and that he is leaving Friday. It sounds like there is something going on between you that is not good for the relationship. If that is the case, then your partner could be saying these things to you about your memory to hurt you rather than because they really occurred.

If you see your doctor and it turns out that nothing is wrong, you may want to see a counselor for an evaluation, just to be sure that you are not depressed or have any other issues. And if both professionals clear you, then you may have to focus on your relationship and why your partner is saying these things to you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.