Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

worried about a friend I have this friend who is homeless

worried about a friend
I have this friend who is homeless and lives in her car. Up until last Tuesday we had talked everyday for a week. Then, suddenly, she stopped responding to my phone calls and didn't show up to a Bible study she said she'd be at. I'm worried about her. What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’d like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your friend either might have had something come up or she had trouble of some kind. Either way, if she is not showing up to something she is said she would be at and she typically doesn’t miss, then there may be a reason to be concerned.

Since she is homeless, it is more difficult to track her. And if she suffers from any type of mental illness, then it can be even harder. People who have a mental illness often experience times of clarity then fall into a pattern of self destructive behavior. So she could be struggling right now to find her way back to feeling better.

You may want to start at the local shelters. She may have been able to get into one and be staying there. Also, you can talk to the local hospitals and the police. Let them know you are concerned. And if you have a picture of her, then that is even better.

Homeless shelter staff are trained to know how to help as is local community mental health. You may want to focus a search with those groups so you can help your friend in the most effective way.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. I've called the non-emergency police and the local jail looking for her, without success so far. I'll look into homeless shelters, too.

You're welcome. I hope you are able to find her. It is very worrisome when someone disappears. However, it is usually something minor and they turn up just fine.

Kate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for putting my mind at ease

Take care and if I can help in any other way, let me know.

Kate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will

Another suggestion may be to try to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. Both have programs for the homeless and may be able to offer you resources in your own area that can help.

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.