TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have an incredible fixation and fascination with old skeleton

I have an incredible fixation and fascination with old skeleton keys and locks. I saw a picture my aunt had when I was a young girl and got the picture when she passed and have a love of keys, locks and even door knobs. I collect them, display them and have them all over my home. Any insight to what this could mean?
Hello, I’d like to help you with your question.

There are a couple of possible reasons why you are so interested in old locks and keys. One, is that they bring back a certain memory for you. Objects from our past often remind us of certain times in our lives. And associated with those times are feelings and sensations. So if you had something occur in your past around keys or locks, you could bring back those feelings when you see keys or locks that remind you of that time.

Two, you could be fascinated by history. Many people find the thought of owning or seeing something in particular from the past connects them to that time. Focusing on the past also brings a safe feeling. The past has already been written so there is a feeling of “safety” associated with it. And past times also bring about a sense of mystery and intrigue.

Three, and the least likely possibility, is that you have developed an obsession over the keys and locks. It is possible that to associate feelings with these keys and locks and become anxious when you try to stop collecting them. However, you did not describe any behavior that indicated this was happening to you so it is unlikely. This resource may help you distinguish a normal interest from an obsession:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mr-personality/201107/what-makes-your-obsession-healthy-or-unhealthy-is-your-personality

I hope this has helped you,
Kate