Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

My 19 yeard old daughter has OCD and it is getting worse. She

My 19 yeard old daughter has OCD and it is getting worse. She says that her mind is always telling her that if she doesn't count this many times or touch something repeatedly that someone will harm her family or hurt her. She's obsessed with being clean and how she looks and this constant thinking and her constant rituals are causing her major emotional stress, sadness and depression. What can I do to help her?

Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

Is she still in therapy and on medication at this time?

Dr. Rossi :

What would you say is her level of motivation to work on these issues?

Dr. Rossi :

Feel free to reply when back online.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No the therapist didn't help at all. Although we liked her and she was nice. I feel my daughters problems were over the her head and that she needs help from someone more gualifed to help with this problem. She has tried one antidepressant for a couple of months. It did nothing. She is seeing a Phyciatrist for medication and he gave her a couple of pills at his office and she had a horrible reaction.It terrified her and us as parents. My daughter is extremely bright staight A student except for math which she struggles. She is in college doing her general eds and then wanting to go to film school. But her life has been turned upside down with her obessive thoughts. Her level of motivation is great to get help and to want to help herself. Shes really suffering right now and it breaks my heart. I can't be happy know that my little girl is not happy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for clarifying Sherry.

It may be possible that her high level of anxiety is manifesting in some traits of Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
You are correct- she needs to work with someone specializing in OCD. Both medication and therapy can be effective with her participation and efforts.
As far as what would be helpful to her would be finding someone who works with OCD and Body Dysmorphic issues such as a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist.
Because of the severity of her anxiety, this may not be something your daughter can manage on her own.
The first thing would be to find a specialist who provides therapy along with another physician who can evaluate her for a different kind of medication more appropriate to what she's dealing with.

You may try to find a program such as IOP (intensive outpatient therapy) through your insurance. It provides a multidisciplinary treatment approach and is more intense than traditional outpatient counseling. It generally goes for a few weeks. At least that could be the start and then she can transition to a lower level of care as she improves.

Anxiety disorders are influenced by various factors from neurochemistry, though processes to ones coping skills.

The more informed your daughter is about what she's dealing with, the more helpful choices she would be able to make as far as treatment.
Connecting with a support group either in her area or online is another thing to look into. She has to feel hope and know that she's not alone in this.

As far as how you can help her- you can gather some of the resources for her such as available treatment options, information on Body Dysmorphic Disorder, micro nutrient diet, get in touch with support groups in your area through NAMI.org, and most importantly, stay behind her in encouraging her not to give in to her condition. Anxiety is treatable and she does not have to suffer.

For those who are cautious in taking medication, micro nutrient diet and supplementation may offer some relief.
http://www.lef.org/protocols/emotional_health/anxiety_02.htm?source=search&key=anxiety

It is best to deal with this from a mutlidimentional approach where therapy is also used along with other forms of treatment.

Body Dysmorphic Self Test
http://www.pamguide.com.au/anxiety/bdd_test.php