Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years

I have to have everything in its place or I go nuts..yelling

I have to have everything in it's place or I go nuts..yelling and I can't sleep if something is out of place. I have a mental list of things to do when I get up in the morning and if someone adds to it I yell and get mad. It is worse when I am stressed. My son is having a wedding in a week at our house and stuff is moved on the patio and I am expecting 100 people. I don't know why I have been this way for years but I am having trouble handling this. What is wrong with me? Change is another thing I just can't stand. I can't even stand having a christmas tree up because I have to move stuff. so my husband and son and in laws give me grief about it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 1 year ago.

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Give me a moment to carefully read over and consider your question.

Ask Eleanor :

Hi, I have been practicing psychotherapy for 20 years and the symptoms you are describing are those of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Have you heard of OCD?

Customer:

Yes

Ask Eleanor :

Have you ever thought about seeking treatment for OCD?

Customer:

Where would I go for that?

Customer:

What can they do for this?

Ask Eleanor :

You would see a therapist who specializes in treating OCD. If you will give me your city and zip code, I will recommend some for you.

Customer:

West Palm Beach 33470

Ask Eleanor :

A therapist can help you by teaching you coping skills, getting to the emotions underlying your OCD and may refer you to a psychiatrist for medication. (Most psychiatrists no longer practice therapy.) I will chat back in a few minutes with some names for you.

Customer:

ok..thank you. Is there anything I can do until then? I have a wedding in a week and stuff out of place and my heart is hammering in my chest and I am almost having an anxiety attack.

Ask Eleanor :

Do you have a primary care physician?

Customer:

Yes

Ask Eleanor :

You could try making an appt with your PCP early in the week and share with him/her what is going on. Your dr. may be willing to prescribe you an anti-anxiety medication (OCD is an anxiety related disorder). You will need to be seen in person and your dr. will probably only give you enough to get through the wedding as anti-anxiety meds (benzodiazepines) are highly addictive. I am going to begin searching for therapists now.

Ask Eleanor :

I have found several. I can screen for those who take your insurance. What is your insurance company?

Customer:

Blue cross of florida

Ask Eleanor :

Okay, back soon.

Ask Eleanor :

last one in a moment

Ask Eleanor :

Any of the three would be a good choice. Do you have any further questions for me this evening?

Customer:

No more questions at this time. Thank you for your help.

Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience: Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years