Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

Hello, I am 60 yrs old and currently on Venlafaxine - Er 150

Customer Question

Hello, I am 60 yrs old and currently on Venlafaxine - Er 150 mg 2 in the morning and 300 mg XL Wellbutrin. I don't feel any better than I did before I started this combo. It has been two months now. How can I stop the Effexor? I haven't been on it that long and he started me at 150 once a day them increased to 300 once a day. So I would say the total time almost three months.
What about stopping the Effexor and going to 40 mg of Prozac with the Wellbutin. I have it left over before my doctor changed my antidepression.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.

Doctor Rao : H are you online
Doctor Rao : You can reduce 75 mg Effexor XL every week or ten days. If you dont have 75 mg strength I have in few patients reduced 150 mg every two to three weeks. After you stop Venlafaxne, then if You want to of backn to Fluoxetine, start taking it by 20 mg but with n a week you can increase up to 40 mg as you have already been on it before. Ultimately it would be yours and the prescribing Doctors choice But I find adding low dose of Quetiapine ( between the doses of 50 mg to 200 mg) to Antidperessant is more helpful than adding the second antidepressant,especially when you have a history of not responding fully to two antidepressants. But, this needs to be under specialist agreement and supervision.so, you can taper off as advised from Venlafaxine and then decide to go t one of th eoptions described. I have to inform you thatIn these situations Quetiapine acts as an adjuvant and might hav to be used off label licence. I hope you would feel better soon. I wish you all the best. Please do not hesitate to ask me fr more information required at this stage. If you find the answer helpful,please provide positive feedback.Thank you.
Customer:

Thank you Dr. Rao for your answer,but would I ask my Doctor or Phychiatrist. My phychiatrist is not

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Rao, Who should I ask about the Quetiapine? My Regular doctor or my

Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
You can ask you Doctor or psychiatrist. Ideally your Psychiatrist, but, I am aware that some PCP also prescribe low doses if necessary.
I wish you all the best.
Thank you