psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

How can I stop being a compulsive liar?

How can I stop being a compulsive liar?

Compulsive lying as any compulsive behavior is best dealt with by acknowledging the consequences of this behavior. When you address the consequences you better address the behavior. If you embrace all of the consequences you will better address the aftermath of your lying. Often people who behave compulsively acknowledge to themselves the benefits (attention seeking behavior) without acknowledging the negative consequences. You can use journaling for instance to really record your feelings or desires when you lie. See if there is a pattern to your behavior. Avoid those situations but not all social contact. There are triggers to this behavior! Know them and avoid them. This is not all social contact but instead particular situations that encourage you to lie.

You can work with a therapist on this behavior to develop insight into when and why you lie. There is always a situation that encourages this behavior. You can find a therapist on the site for the American Psychological Association. Therapists on this site can specialize in compulsive behavior. Also find the many resources out there for compulsive behavior including some of the workbooks available now. You can't have too much work into who you are. Then enlarge your circle including people you trust and eventually can even go out with you to give you cues when you begin this behavior.

Please press accept or positive feedback so I am compensated