Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hello. I am a 29yr old male. And for a very long time been

Customer Question

Hello. I am a 29yr old male. And for a very long time been gettin mood changes for no reason atall. Can b sittin there watching tv in an ok mood and can feel myself gettin more and more down 4 no reason atall. When i'm high I hardly sleep. Overspend and don't really care bout anything, as if anything is possible. Brain feels like it's gonna explode.So many thoughts goin through my head. Don't stop talking. And also no sense of reality at all. And I can say and do things that r really quite strange or weird, like my brain's racing ahead. And, on the other side can get in really depressed mood 4 2 or 3 weeks at a time where I lose interest in everything and anything. And all I feel like doing is sleeping. Things I usually love doing just dont interest me anymore when in that mood. Then i'll get really nervous and anxious 4 no reason and bite my nails and skin off to self harm. been doing that since age 6 or 7. No selfworth atall. And, had suicidal thoughts quite a few times where I think it would just be easier to overdose and end it all. I dont really think I would ever do it but the thought is there at times. This has been going on since i was 11yrs old at school was gonna get myself run over after school. Luckily a teacher managed to calm me down. Anyway this has been gettin worse and worse now so can't let it go on much longer. What do u think it could be?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.

This could be consistent with a mood disturbance. All of the symptoms you describe are consistent with depression or bipolar disorder. When you have symptoms of depression with symptoms of mania that is considered bipolar. I will give you the symptoms and you can judge for yourself. Both depression and bipolar contain symptoms including hopelessness, suicidal ideation, irritability, forgetfulness, depressed mood, poor sleep and appetite, and fatigue. The difference between these disorders is that with bipolar there is this cycling where you will move mania to depression. Mania includes racing thoughts, agitation, lack of sleep, and excessive energy in some compulsive activity. Self harming is a very dangerous symptom consistent with these disorders as well. You need to see a psychologist or psychiatrist as soon as possible to alleviate these symptoms before you have any more impulsive thoughts. Certain medications can worsen both disorders including steroids and the use of prescription drugs. You need someone to evaluate you for a beneficial medication regimen. You can find a psychologist on the site for the American Psychological Association or the American Psychiatrist Association.

Please press positive feedback so I am compensated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I 4got 2 mention the lack of food and sleep. When i'm on high periods i'm lucky if I get 4 or 5hrs sleep a night, and it really annoys me how my mood can judge change just like that from high 2 low without any warning and can feel it happening but cant stop it and i really hate it. lost so many friends and gfs becoz of it coz I can just start thinking or saying really strange things and I don't realise what i've said till i've come down and it's really scary.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
You are describing bipolar perfectly but it is still necessary to get an evaluation. Once you know what you have as a diagnosis it will be less scary. Then you can plan your life in a way that embraces these issues and find a medication regimen that allows you to be social again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right. I c. Well, I am seeing my GP on 14th. And, I am really scared bout it. So, do u know what the tests are for this and how long it takes to diagnose?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
Testing is usually a interview or exchange between you and doc. You give information about your symptoms and he forms an opinion. The symptoms are classified and you receive a diagnosis. Relax and just let him see what is going on by asking questions. You will feel better once you know what is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right. I hope so coz I really don't feel myself atall atm. Haven't slept properly 4 weeks now and dont know what's going on any more and I hate it.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
Find comfort in identifying what the problem is. This believe it or not will help you really find some consistency. Otherwise you are left with the struggle. Just be honest and you will see yourself improve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just don't feel myself anymore. And I just hate it. I'm snapping at every1 so easily.And 3 weeks ago I smashed my fone up and broke it and the nxt day nearly broke my other 1. That just isn't me. I'm usually so laid back.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
A major symptom of depression is irritability (and anger). Before you can have stability you have to commit again to a process. Call a professional so your anger does not become even more destructive. Your anger may be at this disorder or stemming from it. Take action.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Action? What action tho? I'm already on Anti-depressants tho. Been on them 9 yrs now. But this is different. My mood changed so many times y'day from happy and content it went 2 sad and then just as I was going 2 bed it went really manic And I just couldn't sleep atall coz I couldn't control it. All this 4 no reason atall.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the medication you are using is not working at its best. You should consult your doctor and see why this is happening. You have obvious signs of cycling and medication can address this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I c. Would you say that this sounds like signs of Bipolar Disorder? Becoz if it was just depression then surely i wouldn't get the manic periods that i get?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.

The symptoms seem to be consistent with that but it is hard to say. You would not have mania with depression

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's what I thought.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would my general doc b able 2 diagnose this or would I have 2 wait and b sent to the Hospital?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
A physician is not usually trained in psychiatry. He may give advice but will send you to a psychiatrist. At hospital you see psychiatrist on staff. They will arrange this through Emergency Room. If you want outpatient you have to find psychiatrist in your area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm, that's what I thought. So I prob won't get a diagnosis till nxt year/

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
You will get a diagnosis soon after seeing a professional
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But if i'm seen as an outpatcient it prob wont B till nxt yr do u think? I'm in the UK btw.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
You can get help sooner than that or get second opinion. Don't let them take too long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So do u think I should go to the accident and emergency at the hospital? Another thing i've been doing is overdosing on painkillers coz of really bad toothache. Been taking 12 Tramadol and 10 Paracetamol a day.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
You should go to the hospital and tell them you are displaying dangerous behavior and you can't control your intake of pain killers. That is very dangerous
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, it's becoz i've got v bad Toothache. Had it a month now. Don't wanna waste any1s time at the Hospital. And, I can't walk or drive anyway. Is it really that dangerous?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
If you are taking more than was prescribed to you that is very dangerous. You should consider options instead of overmedicating. Maybe someone can dispense your medicine. There are ways to hospital via police or ambulance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really? Oh. What would I say 2 the Ambulance people tho? I can't go till Sun tho coz of my cat? my mum has gone away till Sun?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
You say to the ambulance people that you need to go to the hospital for depression. You can wait until your mom returns
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, i'm not depressed atm. I'm manic. When I come down from that I will b sad.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
You can have them escort you especially if you are manic. You are right. You will cycle. So let them take you to someone who can evaluate your condition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm comin down a bit now from the mania. I don't wanna waste any1s time tho at the Hospital?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
That is a good sign. While you are recovering find a counselor that works for you. You can call a clergy or a counselor as long as it helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, coming down is good. But, i'll prob b sad soon.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
Instead of projecting find someone who can accommodate you. Then you won't be faced by these periods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I c. Well,if that's how u c it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think I would b betta off sleeping?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
If you can yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Guess I can try. Can't sleep wen i'm Manic tho so av 2 wait till I come right down. How much sleep would u say is 2 much sleep?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.

I think what you feel rested after is good for you. Lots of people say 8 hours is right

Be back later

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Hope u dont mind me talking to u. Only i'm on my own till Sun and am a bit anxious and nervous.

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
I enjoy all clients talking to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I took 22 painkillers y'day 12 tramadol and 10 paracetamol.
And, allready taken 8 of each today. this is ok just 4 a few days isn't it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My gp doc just reffered me 2 the hosp as an out patcient for these probs. and has put me on a new drug called Citalopram. 1 every morning she said. Can you tell me a bit bout this drug pls and what it's for? do you thing it will help my mood swings ups and downs and manic periods?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
I am not a psychiatrist but a therapist. I have opt out to give you that information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I c. So do u not pescribe this 4 patcients?

Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Psychlady gave you very good and important information, and stuck with you with a lot of patience..

We on JustAnswer can give you information about the effects and uses of medications but we cannot prescribe them.

Because you may have bipolar disorder and not just simple depression, then it might prove quite dangerous for you to take the citalopram which is an antidepressant.

It is true that depression is part of bipolar disorder, which used to be called manic depression. However, taking just an antidepressant can cause the body to cycle into mania, and perhaps even cycle back and forth between mania a depression and could put you in hospital. I strongly urge you NOT to start on the citalopram.

Instead, go to see a psychiatrist to get a proper diagnosis. If you do have Bipolar, then you will be given a mood stabiliser or antipsychotic medication, or an antiseizure medication. This is very crucial. Please get yourself a proper psychiatric evaluation first and don't take a chance on throwing yourself mentally off balance by taking just an antidepressant.

I wish you safety and good health.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ELLIOT. Hmmm, that's what I thought. Bit like adding fuel 2 the fire isn't it if u have mania. but 4 some strange reason my general practice doc. didn't seem 2 take the manic parts i get daily v seriously and instead only really talked bout the depressive part. but the swings daily r pretty much 50 50.. 4 some reason she also seemed 2 think it wasn't Bipolar despite the symptoms. but she didn't give me a reason why she thought that. I think Bipolar is def more likely 4 my symptoms.. So, now I dont know what 2 do and weather 2 take it or not. I am on Dothepin atm 150mg a day and she is takin me off these and puttin me on the 1 I mentioned above.

Dear friend,

It is always better to err on the side of caution. Your GP should read up on the dangers of giving antidepressants only to bipolar patients. She should know better in my opinion.

Read this. There are many similar articles.

http://www.bpso.org/ads.htm

Dothepin (dosulepin) is a mild tri-cyclic antidepressant (dosulepin), and now she is wanting to put you on something stronger, citalopram.

Some practitioners claim that citalopram alone can help reduce bipolar symptoms. Further investigation shows that it may be helpful only in the less serious Bipolar II disorder, and that antidepressants actually work as mood destabilisers.

I strongly urge a second opinion. You might need a different drug instead of, or in conjunction with the citalopram.

I would hold off on starting this new drug until you had an assessment from a psychiatrist. There is no need or urgent rush to start this medication without further investigation.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ELLIOTT. Thanku 4 ur reply. I took it this morning. I had no choice because my Dothepin is being withdrawn and i'll b left with nothing if I dont take the stronger 1. But as I thought I am really high and manic now. I have no appt with chycirtrist till the new year so what do I do? In really tough position now. My GP oviously doesn't know much bout this. But, this is the same doc who in 2010 ruled out me havin MS only 4 me 2 b diagnosed with it in 2011. And, I have 2 say I think she is wrong again here. Coz I am capable of almost anything when i'm as manic as this.