Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych

Hello, Im 60, married. At this moment I have very difficult

Hello, I'm 60, married.
At this moment I have very difficult both marriage relationship and financial situations.
I has always been a positive and optimistic person, but now I cannot see any future and I'm afraid to lose all my positive vision of life and start being some kinf of depressed.
I don't know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 1 year ago.

Doctor Rao :

hi are you online?

Customer:

Yes

Doctor Rao :

Hi,It must be difficult for you

Customer:

Yes, it is

Doctor Rao :

it is not easy to deal with issues like this,especially when come together

Customer:

I know

Doctor Rao :

Can i ask you few question?

Customer:

Sure

Doctor Rao :

do you feel low in mood (more than what you have felt when you were upset), have low energy levels,easily getting tired

Customer:

yes

Customer:

above all i feel like i have no any hope to overcome this situation

Customer:

i should go living somewhere else, get a job, but you know ... i'm 60!

Doctor Rao :

ok. what about wanting to spend time alone,occasional spontaneous crying spells,feeling worthless and hopeless

Customer:

it's not about to spend time alone, but about competely changing my life. now i live in italy and i cannot stend to live here anymore; besides i have a small business that doesn't work and i cannot see solutions

Doctor Rao :

ok.where are you from originally?

Customer:

it's everything about age and (lack of) money

Doctor Rao :

yeah.sometimes it looks like that way

Customer:

I'm originally from italy, but i used to live in ny for 10 years and 5 years ago i came back here (my grown up children werw and are here) and this has been the beginning of the end ...

Doctor Rao :

from the symptoms you have describes, you have symptoms suggestive of possible depressive illness . The causes for depression are multifactorial The age and financial might be big issues and they are contributing to how you feel.But we look at the depression by three factors

Customer:

ok, but what i have to do?

Doctor Rao :

ok.if you really didn't like that place, do you have so much ties,that make sit impossible to move?

Customer:

my husband doesn't want cause he is afraid

Doctor Rao :

also, what we do know is when a person is depressed, they do maximise the negative side of them and minims ethe positive and optimistic side int hem.It is a known thing

Customer:

i know, but ...?

Doctor Rao :

did you thought about seeking some professional help?

Customer:

not yet

Doctor Rao :

we know that Psychological therapies like cognitive behaviour therapy,medication or combination are try helpful for Depression.I believe if you Address your low mood and depression you would start seeing the life positively syou would start feeling better

Customer:

maybe

Doctor Rao :

The medication that are used are SSRI medications like fluoxetine,citalopram or sertraline. But, first you need to see a doctor for the diagnosis to be confirmed and draft management plan.

Customer:

but unfortunately these are real problems, not abstract problems in my mind

Doctor Rao :

Sure, I am not suggesting for a minute.Thes problems are real, but sometime they do appear even bigger when a person is having depressed mood

Doctor Rao :

The CBT, is helpful to find the link between feeling,thoughts and actions.CBT would be help to change some of these thoughts and actions in a positive way

Customer:

this could be

Customer:

and i guess i cannot do anything by email, right?

Doctor Rao :

If you have any constraints in the form of time or resourcesfor psychological therapy,may be the pragmatic approach and starting point can be to look in to self-help books

Customer:

ok

Doctor Rao :

Yes,you could get some help online.will tell you in a minute

Customer:

ok

Doctor Rao :

one of the helpful books is

Overcoming Depression: A self- help guide usingCognitive Behavioural Techniques

Paul Gilbert (Author)

Customer:

ok, i'll try to find it

Doctor Rao :

Now coming to online resources, The websites like moodGym are very helpful.I believe it is free as well (you need to google MoodGym)

Doctor Rao :

please do not hesitate to ask me for more information if required at this stage.

Customer:

ok, i thank you very much!

Doctor Rao :

I wish you all the best. I really hope you would seek some help and feel better.

Doctor Rao :

If you find the answer helpful,please provide expositive feedback.Thank you

Customer:

Sure, bye

Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych