Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Trying to find a psychiatrist who specialized in treating girls

Trying to find a psychiatrist who specialized in treating girls (teenagers) with low self esteem. We live in Central Pennsylvania near State College. Willing to travel to Pittsburgh or Washington, DC area if need be. This could be biochemical in nature. My daughter is under treatment with her endocrinologist for insulin resistance and has since lost 40 lbs. She is near or at her ideal weight. Has trouble with body image. Just got rejected by her boyfriend for having or displaying negative outlooks. Other students in her school have picked up on this as well including her fraternal twin sister who has no low self esteem problems or body issues. (Her twin sister has always looked like the princess!)

Need to find a clinician who can discern what is poor image vs. clinical (biochemical) depression that might have any links to endocrine problems. Two years ago I admitted my daughter at NIH and found out her insulin level was that of a 300 lb. adult! She also has been diagnosed with hirsutism.

NEED THE RIGHT KIND OF HELP for this situation.

Kathe Kozak
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear concerned parent,

As you, insulin resistance allows glucose levels to rise but the cells cannot absorb and be energized by the glucose. They starve. The insulin cannot bind sufficiently to the insulin receptors and cannot tell the cells to take in glucose. The body thinks it is starving and begins to break down stored glycogen in the body which becomes glucose. This triggers more insulin secretion, which makes the person feel hungry. Glucose levels rise, and low energy levels ensue as do mood swings. Excess glucose is secreted in the urine. Vital organs and nerves can be harmed, and one result is hirsutism Another is depression.

Insulin resistance is significant correlated with depression (per the journal BMJ, January 2005). The depression usually precedes the diagnosis for diabetes. It is hypothesized that the insulin may produce other hormones in response, particularly cortisol, the "stress hormone" or another called glucagon-like-peptide-1 (GLP-1) which triggers depression and anxiety.

Another researcher (Jurriaan Plesman) suggests that this depression is a nutritional disorder. Because the cells do not get enough energy, they produce an insufficiency of serotonin thus causing depression. To counteract this he suggest a hypoglycemic diet (protein-complex carbohydrate snack every three hours) in order to stabilize glucose levels and hence serotonin levels. This therapy approach is one that takes months or even longer to implement full results.

Most people with this condition gain a great deal of weight, yet your daughter has lost 40 pounds and has trouble with her body image. This sounds very much like anorexia nervosa, which is her way of reaction to her illness. I'm sure that if her hirsutism is significant (meaning barely visible in a teenage girl) then this, along with her depressed state, triggers her anorexia. She fights her tendency to gain weight by starving herself (and possibly secretly purging).

Her depression is probably driven by the effects on her endocrine system. However, she may be suffering from low serotonin and might need therapy to raise it. Furthermore, her depression is probably increased by health uncertainties and hirsutism.

There is an excellent therapist in State College whose main specialty is eating disorders. She is:

Ms. Nancy E Campbell
Clinical Social Work/Therapist , LCSW, LLC
315 S. Allen St, Suite 426 B
State College, Pennsylvania 16801
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

She works primarily with clients struggling with eating disorders, and after completing her masters at Univeristy of Pittsburgh, she complete her professional training at UPMC/Westgern Psychiatric Clinic (WPIC), the Center for Overcoming Problem Eating (COPE) and Anxiety Disorder/OCD Clinic, where she was trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. She will have the skills and the contacts to help your daughter as well as anyone else, even if you go further afield

I wish you great success.

Warm regards

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Elliott:

I can try XXXXX XXXXX but what I was looking for was a psychiatrist referral. As was stated, my daughter is under the care of an endocrinologist. She is on a special diet (Atkins) because of the insulin resistance. She is also on metformin (glucophage). So "eating disorder" is really not the main issue as such. Body image and depression is the problem. Her endocrinologist has put off hormone therapy for now till she comes close to her ideal weight. My daughter has suffered problems with "acceptance" at school because she feels she is not pretty enough or good enough. This has been going on since middle school. She now has had a hard time coping. I would prefer to see a psychiatrist who specializes in adolescents to start off with in case she needs a prescribed antidepressant.

Dear friend,

I will also recommend a psychiatrist to help you. I have worked long and hard to answer your question and will continue to do so until you are satisfied.

Anorexia should not be overlooked. One definition is that:

"Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by immoderate food restriction and irrational fear of gaining weight, as well as a distorted body self-perception. It typically involves excessive weight loss. Anorexia nervosa usually develops during adolescence and early adulthood."

Let me recommend an excellent child psychiatrist in the Washington DC are:

Dr. Clifford Sussman
Psychiatrist , MD
5410 Connecticut Ave NW
Ste 112
Washington, District of Columbia 20015
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>website: http://www.cliffordsussmanmd.com/

Let me further suggest the following psychiatrists, all located in State College.

Dr. Thomas Dauler
(814)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

Dr. Kenneth Hylbert
(814)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

Dr. Arthur De Carle
(814)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

Dr. Timothy Derstine
(814) 867-06

Dr. Craig Feaster
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I would recommend first, Dr.Sussman in D.C.

I wish you great success in helping your daughter.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Dear friend,

Thank you so much.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC