Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

What is the recomended procedure to switch from Lexapro to

Customer Question

What is the recomended procedure to switch from Lexapro to Paxil?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

While switching over from one antidepressant to another one there are two possible options.

1. Slowly tapering down the dose of antidepressant to be stopped and then starting new antidepressant from the next day.

2. Slowly decreasing the dose of older antidepressant and gradually increasing the dose of newer antidepressant.

But since,both Paxil and Lexapro are SSRI antidepressants having more or less similar mechanism of action therefore your doctor can directly switch you over from Lexapro to Paxil the very next day and there is no need to follow the method of cross tapering or stopping and then starting newer antidepressant.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any other query to ask?

Kind regards

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.