Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years

Dear sir or madam, Could you advise me re the European drug

Dear sir or madam,
Could you advise me re the European drug agomelatine,
Is it indicated in bipolar type2. I an worried about initial severe side effects to it which some people have commented on
Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Give me a moment to carefully read over and consider your question. Agomelatine is an anti-depressant different from the SSRIs and SNRIs that have been FDA approved for many years in that it does not effect seratonin levels in the brain. Thus is does not have the side effects of weight gain or suppressed sex drive. Agomelatine is a derivitive of the hormone, melatonin, which helps with sleep. It does not have adverse withdrawal effects when discontinued. The drug has only been tested as an anti-depressant and not as a treatment for Bi-Polar II. Bi-Polar II should never be treated with an anti-depressant as they will only make it worse and worse. Rather Bi-Polar II must be treated with mood stablizers and/or a-typical anti-psychotics. Agomelatine is not yet FDA approved. I hope this information is helpful. Chat back if you need anything further. If you are satisfied with my answer, please submit a positive rating. Thank you and take care, Eleanor