Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

Im a 34 year old male and been diagnosed with GAD. Im on

I'm a 34 year old male and been diagnosed with GAD. I'm on 10 mg lexapro per day 5 mg buspirone per day and 2 mg clonazepam per day. I've been on 10 mg of lexapro for six months. I've been to CBT and I feel what has given me the most relief is the lexapro. I still feel a little on edge and was wondering if I would have room to increase my lexapro to 15 or 20 mg per day to hopefully get rid of this once and for all. I've been battling this for about 3 years now. All my medication is prescribed by my primary physician who has said he will not increase the lexapro and I don't blame him as that's not his specialty. Was wondering if it might be worthwhile seeking out one of the psychiatrists at the same hospital to see if he would prescribe me a different dosage combination. My email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.
The anxiety must be very distressing and at times debilitating which can limit the quality of life.
Coming to the answer Yes.It is helpful to increase the dose of Lexapro to 15 mg and then if necessary to 20 mg after that.Please note that the maximum safe dose for Lexapro is 20 mg.I can understand the PCP might not be prepared to prescribe but we do know that sub therapeutic dose is partially effective.(we do know that Lexapro is effective for anxiety but we do not know who requires what dose, with a dose range between 5 mg to 20mg).

I also want you to know that Buspirone is also helpful for anxiety. you are on low dose of buspirone 5mg, which can be increased to 50 mg.But please note that you need to change the dose of medication one at a time.So, first discuss the changes in lexapro dosage and hopefully the increased dose would be enough.

As you have mentioned the limitations of CBT use i am not going to go in to details over this.

I wish you all the best. I hope your doctor would be able to take views on board and do needful.please do not hesitate to ask me if you require more information.

If you end the answer helpful,please provide positive feedback.

Thank you
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych