Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

Im a 43-year-old male who over the years suspected having

I’m a 43-year-old male who over the years suspected having certain “issues” but never really confronted it. Generally I ignored where possible and when confronted - I would just accept as normal life issues.

Today I’m not so sure I was all that normal and I find myself a little frustrated in not seeking advice or understanding many years back. Anyway they say it’s never too late to learn and this is my first step to the road of enlightenment.

My issues (and not particularly in this order)

Concentration
I’ve always had issues concentrating for long periods. Even writing this email I’ve been distracted a few times by either, finding myself doing something else like answering an email, looking at my phone or just my in my thought process.

Forgetfulness
I consider myself a bright enough person but I’m so forgetful. Don’t rattle off a phone number to me, as I won’t be able to repeat it straight back. It’s as if my brain refuses to collect and store detail. Not sure how I got through my studies?

Bad Sleeper
I’ve always had issues with sleeping. Till this day I’m the lightest sleeper and don’t let me have anything on my mind, I will never get to sleep.

Procrastination
If I must be honest I think this has been my worst trait and definitely been the ball and chain that’s kept be back from doing great things. Lucky for me, in-between the periods of procrastination I have these wonderful spurts of awesome energy where I fly through and get anything outstanding done. Thank goodness for this as its what’s got me though my career. I don’t think I’m lazy so I cant blame it on that, I always just blamed it on being too cautious and thus taking longer to make the correct decisions. Amazing how we lie to ourselves …

Depression
I’m sure I have suffered mild depression while growing up but I’ve never accepted, confronted or treated it. Once again I thought it was normal and my macho like personality forced me to suck it up and move on. It was obviously not that bad as I got through my teens, early adulthood relatively unscathed (I think!) No one ever confronted me about it so I guess I hid it well.
Maybe maturity has brought a sense of wanting to look after ones body and mind better as we leave our younger carefree days behind us and move forward, maybe its because these episodes are getting worse or maybe its just proving a challenge for me and the one closest to me. I’m not sure but something has spurred me on to take action and to at least understand what I’ve been through and currently going through.

At the moment I’m going through a period where I’m unmotivated, lack excitement and just feel pretty numb. It’s got so bad that I feel it is having a negative effect on my relationship with my partner besides other things. I’m not excited to see her or spend time with her but then again I’m not really excited about much. I could win the biggest lotto ever tomorrow and I know it wouldn’t change my mood.
Like before I know I’m going to wake one day and feel better and life will move on BUT maybe this is the time to confront, acknowledge and maybe fix

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 1 year ago.

Doctor Rao :

Hi,Thank you for the comprehensive history of symptoms.Very helpful to underatnd what you are going through.Are you online?

Customer:

hi doc, yes for a short while

Doctor Rao :

ok.No problem.we can have a quick chat.I find it useful to live chat answer

Doctor Rao :

can i ask you few questions.

Customer:

sure

Doctor Rao :

You gave a good account of symptoms.What interested me was, you mentioned intermittent periods of spurts of awesome energy and ability to do great things

Doctor Rao :

How long these periods do last

Customer:

day, two days

Doctor Rao :

do you feel high in mood (opposite of feeling low) during these periods

Customer:

sometimes doesnt really feel normal

Customer:

yep - on a high as apposes to normal or low

Doctor Rao :

do feel like having more energy levels,feeling like able to sort out things easily,have high self esteem during these periods?

Customer:

yes

Doctor Rao :

do you find hard to concentrate during these periods? do you become overfamiliar with others?

Customer:

when you say overfamiliar?

Customer:

i think i concentrate better during these periods, or at least it feels that way

Doctor Rao :

like talking to others you don't know,talking more familiar than normal with people you know..for example being over friendly with people who you generally consider acquintances

Doctor Rao :

ok.dO YOU HAVE CREATIVE OR SOME WHAT CREATIVE THOUGHTS DURING THES EPERIODS

Doctor Rao :

periods

Customer:

yes - im like that naturally but more during these periods - spot on

Doctor Rao :

ok.last two questions

Customer:

creative , yes

Doctor Rao :

do you drink alcohol or take any drugs?

Customer:

drugs no - alcohol very limited

Doctor Rao :

Ok. Thanks. does any one in the family have problems with mental illness like depression Etc?

Customer:

of late I found out my mother has been suffering - she has been ill so I blamed it on that. she also had a gambling problem we battled with.

Customer:

in the past

Customer:

she said she gambled as she was lonely, maybe depressed?

Doctor Rao :

Ok.Based on the information provided, i think there is a possibility that you might be having symptoms of bipolar Affective disorder type 2. I hope you can understand that it is very difficult to diagnose on the internet but the symptoms are suggestive os a possibility.This is because...

Doctor Rao :

1.You have periods of low mood,depressive symptoms. 2.You have periods of what we call as hypomania, like feeling high,being more creative and focus during this periods,high energy levels,feels on top of the world but that don't last long and the questions i have asked gave some indication in to that It is very helpful if you can keep a mod diary.

Doctor Rao :

In mood diary, you usually rate your mood between a scale of 0 to 10...0 being your worst mood and 10 being best..if you do it for few weeks, we might be able to see a pattern.It is important that you seek help from your family physician or psychiatrist to go through these symptoms again,mental state examination and confirming the diagnosis. I have to inform your hat, you don't need to panic and important to seek the help.i have been treating professionals like doctors,lawyers,teachers with this condition.So, if the diagnosis is confirmed, either bipolar type 2 or unipolar depression based on the diagnosis, the treatments are available. The most important thing is recognising the problem,realising the necessity of help and seeking professional opinion.

Customer:

i understand, i think me recognizing it is a first step. i thank you for your help

Doctor Rao :

No problem.Please discuss with your doctor.As you rightly said recognising is the big step.If you have the mood diary,comprehensive history of symptoms by the time you see the doctor that might help the doctor immensely.

Doctor Rao :

Please do not hesitate to ask me for more information if required at this stage.

Customer:

Thanks Doctor Rao.Much appreciated!

Doctor Rao :

No problem. I wish you all the best.I must say you have taken the first positive step in seeking help.I appreciate it is not easy. If you find the answer helpful,please provide positive feedback.Thank you

Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych