Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I am on Lexparo for the last 12 weeks, I was taking 20 mg for

I am on Lexparo for the last 12 weeks, I was taking 20 mg for the last months and still i did not see any improvement, I am taking also clonazapem 1 mg at night and 1/4 of 1 mg when needed during the day , When doctor increase my lexparo to 30 mg i got even higher anxiety and i start to have stomach pain, terrible nause and vomitting and diarria. I went to gystro to double chcek what is going on with me. Meantime i spoke with doctor i told her that i dont see much improvement on lexparo. Only my panic attacks got much better but i still have so much anxiety and depression is still there. Mostyly what i have is physical symptoms, like headache, pain all over my body, muscle pains, terrible belching, shacking in the morning , just not beeing myself. I was taking paxil for over 9 years due to panic attacks, but i have never experience anything like that. Doctor wanst me to lower th lexparo to 10 mg (i ma taking that at night) and start in the morning effexor 37.5 and slowly move to effex
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

The normal daily dose of Lexapro is from 10-20 mg per day and being a SSRI antidepressant it can cause significant gastrointestinal side effects like those you experienced after increasing the dose to 30 mg per day.

Since you are not responding to a SSRI antidepressant Lexapro, a dual acting SNRI antidepressant like Effexor (Venlafaxine) or Cymbalta (Duloxetine) can be indeed useful in your case. Your doctor probably want you to switch over from Lexapro to Effexor which is an effective medicine for all the symptoms you have mentioned.

The starting dose of Effexor is form 37.5 mg per day and your doctor will be following the cross tapering method in which the dose of Lexapro will be decreased gradually while increasing the dose of Effexor ( Dose range from 75 -225 mg per day.)

A SNRI antidepressant is useful for anxiety, depressive symptoms as well as pain symptoms so I agree with your doctor in this.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just have one concern, I lost almost 10 pounds on lexparo and i read that effexor cause the lost weight , I am 118 pound sonly and i am scaried that i will loose more

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Hello kinga,

Thanks for your reply.

Weight loss is not very common with Effexor as seen in our clinical practice and in fact we have seen some patients complaining of weight gain too so in my view, you need not to worry much about loosing weight.

Regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics