Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

I talk too much. It bothers me when no one is talking and if

Customer Question

I talk too much. It bothers me when no one is talking and if there is silence, like at work, I get anxiety thinking the silence is a test to see if I'll quit talking and it makes my heart pound and then I start talking again. I hate doing it and even notice that a white lie/embelishment will come out if there's nothing to talk about. I constantly tell stories and can remember every single detail of everything that's ever happened in my life. I don't know why I do it and it makes me feel sad. When I go home I don't talk to anyone on the phone because I'm exhausted from talking all day, usually this prevents me from going out too. Also, as I'm writing this I notice how many times I use the word "I" and that really bothers me too, makes my chest feel tight and I get embarrassed. I get embarrassed and frustrated and sad and just want to be quiet, it makes me feel so self-conscious like a freak and i really want to know if there's something wrong with me or anything I can take to get me to settle down. I have panic attacks regularly because of this and just want it to stop or at least settle down :(
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry to hear about the way you feel and the unsuccessful attempts at treatment for your anxiety.

In reading what you have written, I wonder if you are also someone that may have and ADD/ADHD issue ???

Has this ever been addressed or expressed as a concern?

Medications like Xanax provide short term releif but would not be helpful in a long term.

I am also curious to know if you have every been in therapy.

If you can respond to the above, I will provide suggestions on what you can do.

Kind regards, Bill

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had been in therapy for a rape and the death of my boyfriend of six years, but ADD/ADHD wasn't discussed because I hadn't been talking much then. I have often thought that I may have ADD/ADHD, I have never been able to read all the way through a book (have to stop and re-read every paragraph to remember it) and I used to have to take school tests separately from other students so that I could focus and have more time. Xanax worked great because it made me feel normal and it curbed my talking without making me antisocial. I was on zoloft and I think it was paxil as well, neither made any difference with prolonged use, in fact it made me feel depressed to be on antidepressants, oddly enough.
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Sarah- I am so sorry to learn about horror of rape and the death of your boyfriend. What a tragedy for you to have endured.

I have worked with ADD ADHD for nearly 35 years and when I read something from someone I can almost pick out those who have these issues -many never having been formerly diagnosed or properly treated.
Because anxiety is also a factor the primary problem is often overlooked and the treatment with Paxil and or Zoloft will no work either as ADD ADHD is treated with other classes of medication.

First- If you take the following self scoring ADULT ADD ADHD Quiz you will have an immediate result as to whether this is an issue for you. Take the quiz and let me know your score:

http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm

I look forward to your response.

Bill

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took it and scored a 101. It said :

It is highly likely that you are presently suffering from adult attention deficit disorder.....it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional immediately.

So..I've never been to this site before, are you able to prescribe treatment or should I go see a psychologist? I'm nervous to be on medication because I don't want it to change me completely, but the panic and noise is starting to be overwhelming :/
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Sarah-

This quiz result means you now need to make an appointment to have this diagnosed and treated.

Medication will not change you or your personality- it will help to organize your thoughts and you will feel much better. Not to worry.

Learning about Adult ADD will also inform and help.

This link will tell you everything you need to know about Adult ADD:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

To locate a therapist that treats ADD- go to the following website where you can search by Zip Code:

http://www.add.org/?page=finding_help_support

I encourage you to get help with this. It is a gift to yourself and you will soon see how much better you will feel.

Always feel free to follow up as needed. I wish you the very best.

Bill

PLEASE LEAVE POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME.

Thank you Sarah!

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Bill, you've really been a great help :)
-Sarah
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Sarah-

You are most welcome.

All the best to you!!!!!!

Bill