Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

becoming a psychologist?

Are there things that would prevent you from becoming a psychologist? For instance, things from one's past that could preclude on from certification, physical/mental health conditions, etc.

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

The Licensing of Psychologists in the US and Canada is handled by the States/Provinces and oversees application and licensing/certification.

In general, the only issues that would preclude someone from becoming would be related being convicted of Crimes of Moral Turpitude or Felonies all which would scrutinized and a final determination made by the Licensing Board.

In Terms of mental health- preclusions could result if someone had a Mental Disorder that resulted in them being incompetent to practice Psychology.

There are many Licensed Psychologist who have physical and mental disabilities such as ADD , Depression , Anxiety. These are viewed as any other illness and as long as none of these interfere with a person to carry out the practical and legal responsibilities associated with being a Psychologist- they would NOT be precluded from licensure or certification.

Specific information on Licensing in Canada can be found here:

IF you have more specific concerns about yourself or someone else and care to share the issues with me, I
would be happy to respond.

Otherwise, I wish you the very best.

Kind Regards, Bill

-Follow up questions- no additional cost-

Thank you.