TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I appreciate your help. I think I have been on every website

I appreciate your help. I think I have been on every website available over the years. I am willing to take drastic measures to get me back to where I was. I know recovery is a slow process but... I go to a state funded mental health facility. Overall they have help me for several years but I feel like there is more out there somewhere. I want to have good belly laughs again. They are few and far between. At this point I do not feel depressed, I feel like I am at a stand still. Theraphy and meds have gotten me to this place but I know there is more they can do for me but don't know how to go about getting it. I don't feel like I need inpatient help now but would if I had to. Wouldn't I have to be at a low point for any research to be done? Right now I'm screaming - not very loud though. Still grasping at straws and am very frustrated because this time it has drug out for so long. Three years is plenty time enough for recovery. Think something else needs to be done. Sorry if I write in circles.

You don't necessarily have to be at the lowest point in order to be involved with research. Each study and treatment have different criteria, depending on what they are looking for in terms of outcome. And although you may not fit one study, there may be another that needs someone with your situation.

It sounds like you have looked into many different options and treatments for your symptoms. It can feel very hopeless when nothing seems to work and you just want to feel better. I encourage you to keep trying, though. It is very hard to stay motivated but you never know when you might find that one treatment that works.

By trying research studies, you have the opportunity to find out about the latest treatments available and even get your medication for free. And success stories do happen so it is worth trying. I'm not sure which studies you have looked into, but here is a current list through the National Institute of Mental Health and other contacts that do research studies:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/trials/bipolar-disorder-manic-depressive-illness.shtml

http://www.psychiatry.pitt.edu/participating-in-research-studies

http://irp.nih.gov/nih-clinical-center/clinical-trials/get-involved-with-clinical-research

By contacting these places, you open yourself up to opportunities to find the answers you are looking for. And if they cannot help you, they may be able to point you to someone who can. That can offer a lot of hope.

Kate