psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

My son is 16 years old. In the last two months he has been

Customer Question

My son is 16 years old. In the last two months he has been horrible. Grades are down not doing his homework and when I question him about his grades and homework he stars to yell at me curse and has even done damage to my car. What should I do. He does see a therapist but I do not see any changes
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 3 years ago.

Sometimes a therapist and a client do not mesh and the client is not seeing positive results. This is more common than we like to admit. You seek certain qualities in a therapist knowingly or unknowingly. When you are not compatible you can see a process that really is not getting anywhere. The other possibility is that he is suffering from a mood disorder and he is struggling to find the energy to make the changes suggested to him. I may consider going to another therapist that is a good fit for him. Or finding a mentor that can model for him healthy coping skills. Even though he is 16 there are agencies in any state including Big Brothers that help him connect with someone. Think outside the box and try creatively to offer him additional support. He may respond well to a male who has mentoring skills even if someone in your community,church etc.

Please press positive feedback so I am compensated