Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach

Hi. Im currently trying to get myself to seek help for my

Hi. I'm currently trying to get myself to seek help for my depression and cutting. But I'm scared. I usually don't show any negative emotions and view my problems as personal failures. I'm writing here in the hopes that you can give me an insight to how a psychologist thinks, faced with these problems. I worry about what people think of me and hope that an answer from you can help settle my nerves. The part i find hardest is the cutting. What will the psychologist think about it. What kind of treatments are common. And maybe the biggest question when and how do i tell a psychologist that this is one of my questions.

I realis that this is quite messy, but i really hop that an answer can help me settle my nerves. Some information about me is that I'm 20 years old, girl. Have not lived through any major crisis og problems. But have struggled with the social stuff forever. Have been depressed now on and off several years.

Thank you so much for any help
Bia
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 1 year ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

Hi Bia. I am sorry to hear of your struggles. I hope to be able to reassure you that what you are going through is not uncommon to us in our field of mental health...meaning that we see others with similar problems and we help without judgment. We have care and concern for what you are experiencing and believe that you can feel better and deal with the depression and the cutting.

CoachJenK :

The cutting often happens as a way to feel....when you are cut off from your emotions which is often the case with depression, one of the ways to feel is to cut. One of the goals is to reconnect you to your feelings and deal with whatever comes up so that you dont want to cut in order to feel.

CoachJenK :

Also, as the depression is looked at and some treatments can be given then the cutting may begin to ease as well.

CoachJenK :

but most importantly here is that I stress to you that we don't judge. we care, we know that you are suffereing and anyone you see will have the same feelings and views.

CoachJenK :

I know how scary it can be to trust someone new but if you are able to take that step you can be on your way to feeling better. You deserve that.

CoachJenK :

I am here when you are ready to talk. Please allow a few minutes for me to enter the chat once I receive notification that you have responded.

Customer:

Thank you fore responding so quickly. I think most of why I posted here was for someone to "see" me. I think my biggest problem is that I am afraid. I was newer sucsessfull in the social scene, and don't have a lot of friends. I'm not pleased with who I am, and don't expect others to be ether. Lately I have become a recluse, limiting my time to of the house as much as possible. Things have been bad for quite a while, but lately things have been going downwards. I'm currently sitting by my phone trying to call my doctor to get a referral. Should i tell her I cut, or just say I'm depressed.

CoachJenK :

I do see you your sure and because I see you I know that I want you to get the support you deserve. I would let your doctor know that you are dealing with depression and some associated symptoms such as cutting and you need a therapist to feel safe and cared for so you can work through these issues.

CoachJenK :

you are young and in what should be the vibrancy of your life and you deserve not to be stuck in the house. The depression has taken hold and your feelings of low self worth are a part of that.

Customer:

Thanks. It helps a lot just to talk to someone i don't have to see. I've been trying to make this phone call for quite a while.

CoachJenK :

I understand how hard it can feel but you deserve to feel better. I know that and so does your doctor and any professional you will see.

Customer:

I don't really want to end this, since I'm a sucker for attention. But i think I've got what i needed for now. Thank you for your time and I hop that i in the future will have the same regard of myself that you do.

CoachJenK :

I hope that too. Please come back to me anytime.

CoachJenK :

Please take a moment to click on the rating tab to offer a rating of my work.

CoachJenK :

my goal is excellent.

Customer:

I will, hopefully with good news =)

Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach