Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I take zanax to sleep because I have sleep apnea. I do not

I take zanax to sleep because I have sleep apnea. I do not wear the mask because I only
weigh 125. This has been going since I was 35; however, I have only been taking zanax
for about 2.5 years off and on. What is the best way to come off the drug and still be able
to get a decent nights sleep. I am afraid I am addicted to the zanax and, I know they are not good for me.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Because you have been taking Xanax off and on for the past couple of years or so, you may not be severely addicted to it It you take a low dose on an as needed basis, you may not have a serious addiction.

Xanax is a wonderful drug if it doesn't get out of hand. It is a drug of the benzodiazepine class and is not the one usually prescribed as a sleep aid. That drug is clonazepam (Klopnopin) and is also addictive.

The worlds foremost authority on benzodiazepine addiction is Dr./Professor Heather Ashton of England. She publishes a free online guide for the best and safest way to withdraw from Xanax, very slowly, ultimately switching over to another benzodiazepine, Valium (diazepam) and then weaning off of that. It is all set forth in the Ashton Manual which you can copy and give to your physician as a guide to helping you wean off of it.

The psychiatrist who supervised me during my internship used this guide to wean his patients off of Xanax and other benzodiazepines.

Here is the link:

As a side note: I do not know the nature of your sleep apnea. I had this disorder some years ago, and it was corrected by surgery and changed my life for the better. I do not know if this is an option for you, but I thought I should mention it in case it was.

I wish you great relief and a smooth adjustment. The information in the Ashton manual (above link) is invaluable and is the safest, surest, and most effective way to go, from my knowledge and experience.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Dear Diane,

Thank you so much for your generosity. I wish you the best in recovery and well-being.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC