Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

My wife really needs help mentally! I left her because she

My wife really needs help mentally! I left her because she thinks I'm trying to kill her, she thinks I'm having an affair and she thinks I'm poisoning her, now she says god told her she's pregnant and the baby will be blond hair blue eyed boy. She calls the cops frequently now cps is involved. We have a daughter that I'm very concerned for and she won't let me talk to her. A little history about her is she was molested by her father until she was 12-14. An alcoholic, she's been diagnosed as borderline personality disorder she self mutilated as recently as a couple months ago. She's been to prison for 12 yrs. Even her older children see she has really gotten worse over the last 2-3 months. I don't know what to do this is killing me and I need some answers. Thank you for reading this and anything you can advise would be greatly appreciated. I love her and want to see her healthy again.
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer.
Does your wife live with her children?
Does she have a support system or family members in her city ?
Is she working during daytime ?
Has she ever been hospitalized due to mental illness?
Please let me know if possible.
I"ll be back with my answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has 2 older children from a previous marriage, they don't live with her.Her parents have both passed, but she has brothers and sisters but not real close and they have issues of their own.She is on disability from a nerve problem so she is also on strong meds about 4 or 5 different ones. So no she doesn't work.She hasn't had any help as long as I've been with her. 12yrs. She might of when she was in prison.We have a 9 yr old that is living with her now.
Hi there
Thank you for your response.
It sounds like your wife has paranoid, anxiety, depression and mood swings based on your report. You also stated she has been diagnosed as borderline personality disorder. Her mood problems may have to do with her childhood trauma - sexual abuse by her farther.
I can imagine how sad and worried you must have been about your wife and daughter. She doesn't have a support system in her city.
Yes, she may need to start working with a psychologist and her doctor.

Borderline Personality disorder is emotional regulation problems.
Many people with BPD also have PTSD, anxiety, depression and mood swings.
BPD is a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image, affect, and marked impulsivity. A person with BPD is intensely fearful of abandonment and may engage in impulsive and extreme behaviors to keep other people with them. Disturbances in self-image are often manifested as frequent shifts in career goals and sexual identity, while impulsivity is reflected in unsafe sex practices, reckless driving, financial irresponsibility, and substance abuse.

She may need treatment - individual and group therapy and/or medication in inpatient or outpatient settings.

You may need help and support to associate with your wife. You may need to get support from a counselor/psychotherapist and/or your doctor.

She may benefit from Dialectical-Behavior therapy (DBT) or Psychodynamic therapy.

If you are in Texas, I recommend The Menninger Clinic in Texas for your wife's condition.
The Menninger Clinic is a renowned treatment center for various mental health problems including Borderline Personality,
Depression, Self-Harming, Suicidal Ideation etc. They work with adolescents (age 14-19) and adults. They provide long-term and short-term inpatient treatment.

Here is the info:

The Menninger Clinic XXXXX
Houston, Texas 77080
Admissions Office
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Website -

Other hospitals that offer DBT treatment to patients with BPD are:

Silver Hill Hospital XXXXX
New Canaan, CT 06840
call 1-866-542-4455

Community Hospital
Behavioral Health Center
5637 Marine Parkway
New Port Richey, FL 34652

The Zucker Hillside Hospital
75-59 263rd Street
Glen Oaks, NY 11004 (NNN) NNN-NNNN Cloud hospital XXXXX
St. Cloud, MN 56303 (NNN) NNN-NNNN
(800) 742-HELP toll-free

Forest View Hospital
1055 Medical Park Dr. SE
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546

If she needs low cost treatment or has no health insurance, you or she may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (2-1-1) to find the community mental health centers in her area in which she can get treatment even without health insurance.

If she is dangerous to herself or the other OR is unable to take care of self due to mental disorder or alcohol addiction, ask her to go to an emergency room of a local hospital. If she does not, call A LOCAL MOBILE CRISIS TEAM or PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM designated by your city and county for psychiatric evaluation and involuntary hospitalization. If she is in crisis now, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.

You may need ongoing support and advice from a psychotherapist, your doctor and/or a support group.
A support group is available via NAMI organization (website:

Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions.
Best regards,