Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

How do we get a real mental assessment, when the patient is

How do we get a real mental assessment, when the patient is able to charm the birds out of the trees, when required, in an interview situation, but has the ability to be angry, violent, have convenient memory loss, create disturbing situations between one person and another, manipulate people and situations to his own benefit
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It can be very difficult to get a genuine assessment when someone is manipulative and not straightforward about their own symptoms. And if the therapist has no other resource for information about the person's behavior and symptoms, then it is possible to have an assessment that is incorrect.

However, there are two points that can affect an evaluation so that it does come out more accurate. One is that most therapists are trained to look for people who manipulate. Granted, therapists can be guilty of believing what they are hearing and seeing, but most do understand that there is much more to a story and that they are getting only one side of it. So the therapist that saw the person you are asking about may already be aware of the client's issues and make a note of their own impressions for other professionals.

Two, it is very helpful for family and friends of the person being evaluated to contribute to the evaluation. Although doing this face to face may require a release of information signed by the client, you can also contact the therapist directly and let them know about the client's situation. The therapist may not be able to respond, or even confirm that they are seeing the client, but they can listen. And the information is often considered during the evaluation.

It is also possible to get more than one evaluation just to be sure that the therapists are seeing the same thing. Having a second opinion can help the evaluation to be more thorough and be sure that all behaviors and symptoms were noted appropriately.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.