Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Body shaking (anxiety)

Hi there, whenever i got to college or if i have to speak infront of many people, my whole body starts shaking very badly. On very small occasions like even if i have to speak with someone my body starts shaking and i forget everything that i have to say, I couldn't be able to speak like I dn't know any language. my body shakes everyday but not too badly as at the time of any occasion.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you might have a social phobia or social anxiety.

A phobia develops when someone feels fear in a normal situation that does not normally cause fear. However, the person begins to experience anxiety and other symptoms that are difficult to cope with. The symptoms become associated with the situation and a phobia develops. Experiencing body tremors is a symptom. Also, forgetting what you want to say indicates nervousness. It does not sound like your situation is serious and probably is easily treatable.

Facing your fear is one of the best ways to help yourself to overcome the symptoms associated with it. Once you learn to face what you feel, you learn to no longer feel afraid. This is best done with the help of a therapist who can provide support and help explain why you feel as you do.

Here are some other tips to help you:

When it comes to talking with other people and being social, many people experience fears. One of the most significant is not knowing what to say. This also creates the fear that others will feel you are uninterested or even socially awkward.

The best way to approach this is to have in mind at least three topics that fit any social situation, such as current events, social events involving the group and something about the group you are in such as something someone is wearing. Practice talking about these topics with "safe" people like family or a close friend.

Another fear is that people will notice how nervous you are. To deal with this fear, it helps to confront it by asking yourself "so what?". What can happen if they notice? Everyone has been afraid at one time or another so realizing that can help you feel less nervous.

Take along a comforting object, one that gives you tactile sensation, like a smooth stone. It can help to play with this object as you talk to not only distract you from feeling nervous, but also to calm you.

When in doubt, bring up something about the other person. A simple compliment can break the ice and make the other person perceive you as approachable and kind. People love to talk about themselves so whenever you feel stuck, ask a question about that person. Learn their interests and ask them about it when you see them, like "how was the game?"

Social phobias often develop unexpressed emotions from either childhood or a trauma. Therapy can help a lot to learn what triggers these feelings of fear and what you can do about them. Also, self help can supplement therapy and help you learn how to relax when you feel fearful and learn to enjoy being out with others. Here are some resources to help you:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

Anxiety, Phobias, & Panic: A Step-by-Step Program for Regaining Control of Your Life by Reneau Z. Peurifoy

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/social_anxiety_support_symptom_causes_treatment.htm

Also, try to remember to relax. Keep in mind that you are acceptable as a person and no one is there to judge you. It can help to practice relaxation so when you feel nervous, you can train yourself to relax. Here is a link to a commonly used technique for anxiety:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

Practice this until you can do it automatically. It will help you.

Also consider talking to a therapist. By finding out why you feel as you do, you can resolve the root issue and eliminate your symptoms all together.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate
Can I help you any further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know that my body keeps shaking in normal situations but not to badly. Is there any solution for this?

Yes, learning how to relax helps a lot. The progressive body relaxation link is a resource that can help teach you how to control the body shakes.

If you have not found a medical cause, the body shakes are most likely caused by your thoughts (very common symptom with anxiety). When you are in front of others, your thoughts, whether or not you are aware of it, are making you anxious.Otherwise, you would not be having the symptom only in certain situations. By changing your thoughts to relaxing yourself instead of being fearful, you can gain control and calm yourself and the body shakes you are having.

Kate

May I ask- if you're satisfied with my response, please rate me highly. Thanks!

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.