TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

For last two years my daughter who is 30 years old has not

For last two years my daughter who is 30 years old has not been herself. She has put about two stones in weight. she feels tired all the time, wants to sleep all the time. She feels bloated , does not go to toilet regular. She has been a bit psychotic as well, says she hears things . The doctor has given her medicine for three months but she feels more slow and overwewight. She is irritable, always looks glumand despondent. She is totally opposite to what she was like two years ago. Could you please suggest some thing to make her feel better. regards XXXXX XXXXX
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If your daughter is taking Risperidone, then it sounds like the doctor may feel she has schizophrenia. However, it is difficult to tell for sure.

Although medication can help your daughter, it does not sound like she has had a thorough mental health evaluation to be sure of what diagnosis she does have. While a regular physician is helpful in prescribing medications, a mental health evaluation is needed to determine your daughter's diagnosis so she receives the proper treatment, which may include not only medications, but therapy as well. Until she has a thorough evaluation, it is difficult to know what treatment would be effective for her.

From your description, your daughter could have depression with psychotic features or schizophrenia. Here is a link to help you with both diagnosis:

It could be that your daughter is not responding to the medication because it is the wrong medication for her diagnosis. Or her body is not responding to it because of her body chemistry. Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms quickly so you can work on overcoming your fears.

I highly recommend that you seek a mental health evaluation for your daughter to determine her diagnosis. The treating professional should be able to provide a treatment plan for your daughter to help her feel better.

I hope this has helped you,