Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I have had many conversations with my daughter, age 40, encouraging

I have had many conversations with my daughter, age 40, encouraging her to take her 'medication'.Because she believes that I am her problem, would it be more effective if someone else interacts with her?
She has a friend who agrees with her that I am a terrible mother and that she (Paulette) has no problems.
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
Let me ask you a few questions first before I offer an answer:
What is her diagnosis?
Is she living with you?
Does she have any medical condition?
Has she worked with a psychotherapist before?
Please let me know if possible.
I"ll be back with my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She and I did have four or five sessions with a phychologist. Paulette walked out when she determined that the therapist was not agreeing with her. (Paulette wanted me in the sessions because "I am the one with the problem")

The therapist and I continued with the session:she said she would recommend that Paulette see a physchiatrist. This has not occurred.

She is living with us. She has not been employed for the past five years. Prior to her illness, she had a professional job in Human Resources.

She does not have a medical condition.

She does exibit some paranoia. She complains that her father and I do not want her living with us, that we never give her a chance to speak, that we roll our eyes, and put our finger up our nose at her. She frequently reflects on painful events in her past experiences with employers. She obviously has the condition known as agnos (I am not able to spell this word without a resource.) In other words, a condition of her illness is the inability to recognize that she has a problem.

And yet, Paulette is a very generous, loving person. always willing to help.

She no longer looks for work; she would be incapable of performing to the standards required.

Hi there
Thank you for your response.
It sounds like your 40 year-old daughter may have anxiety and depression.
She had a professional job five years ago.
That indicates she has (or had) adequate level of intelligence until mid-adulthood.
As you stated, her paranoid has to do with her worsening anxiety and depression.
She is physically healthy.

I think she may need to work with a psychologist or psychotherapist weekly for several months.

Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and anxiety.

You may ask her doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that she can work with weekly. Or you may call her insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your city in Canada and optional category of specialty such as Anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that she wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you and she can see it as an informational meeting. You and she can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

Additionally, she may benefit from having a support group for women with anxiety in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for women.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve her brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate self during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to her whole body, including your brain. This may help improve her mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve her mood and reduce the intensity of anxiety and depression.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Best regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. ( I have been busy.)

Is psychotherapy alone sufficient to resolve this problem or is medication sometimes recommended?

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.

Your daughter may benefit from medication treatment as she has not been able to work for the past five years.
She may see her primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for medication consultation.
Or, she may start working with a psychologist.
The psychologist may assess her functioning and decide if she needs medication.
Then the psychologist will make a referral of her to a psychiatrist.