Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I have a friend that has mental problems but I cannot convince

I have a friend that has mental problems but I cannot convince her of that. She thinks the whole word is conspiring against her using colors and role playing. She finds negative meanings in everything, from the color that her friends wear on cloths, to the color of the cars in traffic, to the colors of the postcards she receives in the mail. She believes that her friends are playing roles, in order to make fun of her. These are friends that are my friends too and I know they are good people and they never talk behind her back as she thinks. I told her many times that this is not right and she needs to see a psychologist but she refuses to think that she has a problem. PLEASE advise me on how to convince her or what to do to help her.!!! She will soon give birth to a baby and I am afraid things might get worse....
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation.
It sounds like she has delusion.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Has she abused drugs before?
Is she dangerous to herself or others?
Does she live alone or with the other?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As far as I know she never used drugs. She does not seem dangerous yet, but I see the potential. She lives with her husband and mother and she will have a baby in a month.Thank you for your follow up and I look forward for your response.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like your friend has delusions.
I agree with you. Her condition is very worrisome as she is giving birth to her baby. She may already have mood disorder prior to pregnancy.
So, she may be vulnerable to having postpartum depression and psychotic symptoms.
Does her husband and mother know about this?
You stated she doesn't think she has a problem. People with delusional disorder may be resistant to seeking help from a doctor as they "believe" in their delusional thoughts.
They may not be dangerous to self or others.
But, your friend may need treatment and be monitored by her family and doctor closely as she may be at risk of having postpartum depression and psychosis.
Can you tell your friend that you are worried about her thoughts and she may have severe anxiety inside? Tell your friend that you want to let her family know about this.
I think her family and husband should know your friend's states and she may need to see her doctor sooner or later.
I'll pause here and await your response if you have more questions.
Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her mother does not know about this. Her husband knows about the delusion about colors but he chose to ignore it, and avoids discussing it. He probably knows less then I do since he is not willing to listen to her. I try to be there for her ( she was there for me when I was partially paralyzed and took me to many physical therapies)So, I really want to help her, but it feels like talking to a wall. She does not respond to any coherent arguments when it comes to this issue, which is strange because she is perfectly reasonable and smart when talking about other subjects. I asked her many times to see a psychologist but she does not see a reason why she would do that when she considers her friends, collegues, supervisors and so on are the problem and not her. I will try asking her to let me talk with her mother and husband about this, but I suspect she will say no . What should I do then ? Is it advisable to go behind her back to discuss this with her family?

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
Okay. So, her husband knows about the delusion about colors.
You may continue telling her that her negative thoughts may be indicative of anxiety and depression and she needs to talk to her doctor (OBGYN) or a counselor.
If she doesn't want you to talk to her family, then you may tell her mother that you are very concerned about your friend's anxiety and she needs to be monitored by her doctor and family without discussing her delusion.
I'll await your response here.
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist