Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I suffer from depression and take meds for it, and Ive been

I suffer from depression and take meds for it, and Ive been in a depressed mood all day and its only gotten worse, all my roomates are out leaving me by myself. I dont know what to do.
Hi there,
Thank your for writing in here.

It sounds like you have been diagnosed as having ADHD and depression.
People with ADD/ADHD also have symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Have you been treated for ADHD?

First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition (other than ADHD)that may cause or contribute to your feelings of sadness.

If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and ADHD. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and ADHD.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression and ADHD. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Regarding pharmacological treatment for depression, a number of antidepressant medications are available to treat depression.
Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood and attention.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any.
Best regards,