Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Can one have an undercurrent of anxiety in ones life, affecting

Can one have an undercurrent of anxiety in one's life, affecting other medical issues, hypertension or irrital bowel as such, and not have a full force of a mental issue to deal with under normal circumstances. However, might be affected by mild traits of a issue.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Have you had anxiety issues before?
How are your sleep and appetite?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, when I was younger. Over reaction to social situations. Irrational thinking to the problem. Been ignoring it for a long time. Leading a lonely life, trying to fix the medical problem. Appetite is good. Been diagnosed with sleep apnea recently.

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
Anxiety may contribute to your medical condition such as high blood pressure. Also, hypertension and sleep disturbance may cause symptoms of anxiety, nervousness and irritability.
Did your parent have anxiety or depression?
If so, you may also be vulnerable to anxiety.

In your case, it's important to treat your medical conditions.
You may also benefit from having psychotherapy for possible anxiety issues.
I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for both anxiety and depression.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for people with anxiety in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Best regards,