TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

can children have bi polar if one parent does and the other

can children have bi polar if one parent does and the other has had anxiety disorder?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Children can develop Bipolar disorder. However, studies about how children get Bipolar and at what age they can be diagnosed are still being studied. It is thought at this point that children as young as age 7 may show early signs of Bipolar, early on set.

Children with both parents having a Bipolar diagnosis may have a 14 fold increased chance of having Bipolar in their lifetimes and a two fold chance of developing a mood disorder. Children with only one parent with Bipolar had a lesser chance of developing the disorder, although the chances of having a mood disorder in general stayed the same.

Although this does not guarantee that your child(ren) will have Bipolar or even anxiety, it is wise to pay attention (as you are doing already) to any symptoms they may show early on so you can have them evaluated and treated. Children who are treated early have a better chance at succeeding at school and socially if they have their symptoms under control.

I hope this has helped you,

May I help you any further?

If you are satisfied with your answer, may I ask that you rate three or higher? Your rating is the only way I am compensated for my work. Thank you!