KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

I have a tenant in my rental home who is convinced people are

I have a tenant in my rental home who is convinced people are entering the home when she is not there. we have an alarm system, and have changed the locks numerous times. She has two dogs. Yet, she insists she is not safe. It is quite likely she is delusional about this, but what can (someone)do to help her?

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : Situations like this are very difficult to deal with because the person doesn't believe they need any help.
KansasTherapist : Is there something she's asking you to do?
Customer:

She is constantly looking for things I can do for her, not limited to this phobia, such ascareeradvice, money for schooling, help with car repairs, etc.

We just had an incident today where the alarm company called the police, because the alarm was going off, and she was not at home. She no longer uses a cell phone, because she believes people are hacking her facebook account. So the police called me, assuring me that everything looked OK. When she got home,she called me. She believes some one stole her key and came into the house.Could not turn off the alarm, so the person left and locked up the house again. Very Impausible. She is mad I don't believe her story.

now she wants to change the locks, again. Happened before

KansasTherapist : I think the best you can do is just decide what you think is reasonable and don' do more than that. For example, you can tell her if she thinks someone has a key to the house, she needs to pay for the new lock. Obviously you don't need to pay for her schooling or give her advice.
Customer:

That is what my wife is telling me also. I told her she needs to pay for changing the locks from now on.

If she is paranoid schizophrenic, at what point do I get help?

KansasTherapist : Unless she is a danger to herself or others there is no way to force help on her.
Customer:

OK thanks that helps