Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane (only)I think I get the philosophy of not thinking

Dear Dr. Keane (only)I think I get the philosophy of not thinking what ifs. I mean, it’s not like I have only just got it as I understood that quite some time ago, it’s only because I'd like to check this with you and for some reason or another I was thinking about it for a little while today. I was thinking, is it about how life isn’t about, what if this or that didn’t happen for the bad things that caused hurt and pain in my life, but perhaps about keeping life moving forwards, after all, as you’ve rightly said, the past cannot be changed. It’s about continuing to work at not letting those that brought harm, totally rule and ruin life, even when the hurt at times and the fact trust takes a while to build takes time, so it's about sorting out everything, which of course I am trying to do. I feel quite philosophical for some reason today.Oh and I’m having a lot of fun seeing and doing lots of things on my trip thanks. I was a bit worried about it as you know, more I think of getting really lost, which I did a little today, so it was sort of strange in a way that I was, although a bit annoyed (more because it was at the end of the day of exploring I think), but was reasonably relaxed about exploring on my own since the friend who I am staying with is at work most days of my trip. You were right about focussing on just having fun, and I am having fun as it happens. Any opinions would be very much appreciated. I also hope that you are having a good week too, even though you are probably at work. I do have another thing I'd like to check with you but it needs more thought so it sounds right and how it's intended, so probably will leave that until next week or so, when I return from my trip. I hope all this makes sense. I've seen and done so many interesting things today and it seems to be a bit tiring too.

Dr.Keane :

Hi glad you are enjoying your time away and your time exploring, you really weren't lost at all. Lots of thinking too. My response is the same as before, the what if's may never occur so why waste energy on worry. It is about continuing on with the knowledge that your experiences, all of them, teach you something and you grow emotionally from it. You have taken steps to trust others and you have done well with it. So go enjoy the rest of your trip, have fun!