KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

Currently the relationship that I am in is having troubles

Currently the relationship that I am in is having troubles seeing eye to eye on finances, child rearing and how we see our future. We have agreed to put off our engagement until we can come to an agreement. One of the other things is for us to get help individually with our troubles. About 5 years ago I was in a very hostile and abusive relationship that I thought that I was over but issues have arisen, and I guess I am not over it. My current family situation is that my Mom and Dad do not like my current boyfriend and they are having difficulty accepting my new choice. I feel that I need to please them for they have helped me in the past 5 years with my daughter and getting me back on my feet. I know that this is a general overview but I am not sure if I should talk to a priest or a psychologist or both. I just want everything to work out and be happy. Please help if you think you can.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 1 year ago.
It seems like you're asking how best to get help dealing with your past abusive relationship. Some priests are well educated and experienced in counseling, others not as much. If you want to go to your priest, I encourage you to find out what kind of education he has. If you aren't sure or don't feel comfortable with him a therapist would be a good choice. You can see a psychologist who usually has a Phd. or a masters level therapist. Someone who has experience with trauma would probably be best.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.