Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Dear Doctor, My 9 yr old grandson is very smart and is very

Dear Doctor,
My 9 yr old grandson is very smart and is very well-behaved in school. He is at the top of his class and his teachers all have good things to say about him. At home, he does his homework without being told to. On the other hand, if he gets disciplined for calling names and not getting what he wants- games on the TV and the internet - he gets angry and sometimes it escalates until he reaches a point where he just screams at everyone no matter what is said. The only way to calm him is to leave him alone. This last episode he screamed that he will jump out of the window. He has 2 older brothers, 6 and 7 years older than him.
Should he be receiving counselling?

Thank you for your help.
Worried Grandmother.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your grandson's situation.
It sounds like he may have anger management or mood problem.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
When did his behavior start?
Does he have any medical condition?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think it started somewhere about when he was 5. He used to go everywhere with his mother including taking him with her to take the older boys to and from school and shopping. At 5 she went to work part time at night while I stayed with them. She has not been out to work much since then.

No, he does not have any known medical problem.

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like your 9 year old grandson have anger management problems or mood problems such as childhood depression.
Yes, he may benefit from working with a child psychotherapist weekly for a few months.
I recommend the book "What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems With Anger (What to Do Guides for Kids)" by Dawn Huebner, Bonnie Matthews to him. The book is for kids of age 8 and up.

To find a Child Psychotherapist, you can call his insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
Or ask his pediatrician for a referral to Child psychologist with the specialty.

Or, you can search a licensed CHILD psychotherapist or a counselor on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Children. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty (Children and play therapy or Cognitive-behavior therapy).
You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You may decide who you and he want to work with after meeting several therapists if you want.
If he has no health insurance and need a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1) to find the community mental health centers in your area where he can get counseling even without health insurance.

Please let me know if you have more questions. Best regards,
Hi there

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,