Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

my 23 year old son has aspergers, depression, and severe anxiety/panic

Customer Question

my 23 year old son has aspergers, depression, and severe anxiety/panic attacks. he is on Risperdol 2 mg 2 tab am, 1 tab 3 pm, 2 tabs hs,
diazepam 5 mg 2 tabs am, 1 tab 3 pm, 2 tabs hs
he is tapering off Cymbalta and will start Viibryx (sp?)next week
He is also on testosterone replacement therapy (his lab level was 160, with normal range between 700-900. He has been on the testosterone for approximately 1 month. He had follow up labs drawn earlier this week but his psychiatrist hasn't received the lab report yet
We began a gluten free diet this week at his doc's suggestion
He has a past hx of severe asthma as a little guy, sinus infections and polyps, for which he has undergone 3 surgeries, and he has had reflux since early infancy. He was diagnosed with an allergy to milk, bread (especially the yeast) and yellow dye #5.

He has been extremely depressed, states that he has suicidal ideation but doesnt want to carry through because he doesn't want to hurt me and my 17-yr-old daughter. \\he states that he is feeling emotions, and that they are overwhelming to him. He states that he has cried more in the last few months than he has cried in his whole life His usual soothing behaviors are not helping. He loves certain video games but right now, he is becoming extremely anxious when he plays. He has a strong interest in politics, but he can't seem to focus or stay attentive to the commentary that he's always loved. He loves shows like Survivor and Big Brother, but lately he hasn't even watched a whole episode and he is not watching the recorded episodes either. Normally he watches so closely, even watching the computer feeds during the times that the show isn't on tv. He will go in the bathroom and read or sleep with the shower turned on because he finds the noise of the water soothing, but that isnt helping either. the only thing that seems to help is that he comes to my room probably 10 times daily and asks me to rub his head and massage his shoulders, and for right now that is helping a little, but i havent slept more than 2 hours or so in the last month because he will wake me when he needs his head rubbed.

His psychiatrist offered him the opportunity to go inpatient until his meds are adusted and his depression is improved to the point that he doesn't feel suicidal. Since he never does any decision-making without a thorough investigation of the situation, he asked to be able to go home and think about it before he decided. He has decided that he wants to go to the hospital.

Unfortunately we live in a fairly small town, and all the inpatient psych facilities have closed. Houston is the closet city to us, but Ive been searching the web for about 6 hours and have yet to find any facility that treats adult asperger patients. I agree that he would benefit from the structure and the distance from the things that are upsetting to him, but I have found NOTHING. His doc usually admits patients to a hospital in Conroe, TX but it doesn't list services for autism spectrum disorders for adults.

I'm frustrated because there doesn't seem to be ANY facilities in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio or Houston, and I feel strongly that he needs to be on a unit that has experience with asoerger patients. the majority of the programs I did read about were mostly focused on drug rehab.

I have no idea where else to look for an inpatient treatment facility anywhere within a 250 mile radius of our home. I am confused at the lack of facilities, and my son is certain that I'll find what he needs and help him, and I'm a little worried that I won't be able to find what he needs. Can you offer any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd appreciate any help you could offer. Please keep looking. Thanks!

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you. Unless you would like to cancel, please don't respond to this as it may prevent the Professionals from accessing your question. Thank you for your continued patience.

Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your question. I can see how stressful your situation must be with your son. I have been looking through the State of Texas website and I was wondering if you have considered this website for services:

http://www.txcouncil.com/addresses_and_websites.aspx

They list community mental health centers that offer different ranges of services from inpatient and outpatient services.

Another good resource is the Texas Department of Aging and disability

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/

Please let me know if you have tried these websites before or if you need me to find a specific hospital for inpatient unit.

Another suggestion I have is for your son obtain a full psychological evaluation conducted by a psychologist to clarify his diagnosis further.
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These websites were new to me, but neither addressed my specific need. I'm trying to find an inpatient hospital program where he can address his depression and anxiety that has experience with patients on the Autism Spectrum. These websites merely directed me to our local MHMR, which does not address his ASD or need for inpatient care, and DADS was directed more toward residential living or home care, neither of which is necessary or appropriate for his situation.

What I need to find is a place where he can address his anxiety and depression, have cognitive therapy to help him learn to self-soothe and manage his anxiety before it is so strong that its debilitating. As I mentioned I searched for hospitals within an approx 200 mile radius of my home that has experience with patients suffering a major depressive episode who also land on the autism scale.

Thanks.
Thank you for your response. The reason why I recommend these websites is because your local MHMR office will have referrals for your son, in terms of the type of services you are looking for. In addition to services, these departments also have resources on funding as well.

Have you tried this website?
http://www.dads.state.tx.us/autism/services.html

Also, if these resources are not your liking, I recommend you calling these agencies on Monday as they may be able to refer you to a specific inpatient/outpatient treatment provider for your son.
I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with my last response.

Here is another resource for you for your son.

http://www.avondalehouse.org/

Although this is not an inpatient unit you are looking for, your son may benefit from these services.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.