Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

How can I be sure if I really have Adult ADHD? and what can

Customer Question

How can I be sure if I really have Adult ADHD? and what can I do about it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Studies have shown that only about 30% to 50% of those who self-diagnose for adult ADHD actually have the disorder, even using online screening tests.

One good marker is a history of childhood ADHD. Almost half of all children with ADHD continue their symptoms into adulthood.

Symptoms of depression overlap with symptoms of Adult ADHD, and hence sometimes antidepressants are given along with ADHD medication.

Because diagnosis is based on subjective self-reporting of symptoms, it is sometimes difficult to come up with an accurate diagnosis, even for physicians. There are those who specialize in ADHD, and they are usually the most proficient in making this diagnosis. Here are the criteria they use, which you are probably quite familiar with, but these are what are looked for in ADULT ADHD:

-LACK OF ATTENTION: not listening when spoken to, inattention to details, failure to follow instructions, careless mistake, difficulty staying on task.

TASK MASTERING TECHNIQUES: difficulty in organization. avoidance of complicated task, easily distracted, often loses physical elements required for completion, forgetful.

HYPERACTIVITY: over-talkativeness, fidgeting and squirming, general restlessness, cannot easily participate in quiet activities. This is less seen in adults than in children.

IMPULSIVENESS: interrupting others when speaking, sometimes trying to complete their sentences.

DISINHIBITION: difficulty in stopping themselves from monitoring their behavior or stopping themselves from behaving in ways they do not want to behave, but don't realize it until it is already done.

The "Utah criteria" for ADHD, based on longstanding research, concludes that
the diagnosis for Adult ADHD needs a long-term history of childhood ADHD symptoms going back to age seven. These symptoms, if not treated, should have been present consistently and without letting up. Furthermore, adult ADHD should include hyperactivity and poor concentration, as well as at least two of the five additional symptoms: frequently changing moods (affective mood lability); hot temper; disorganization and inability to complete tasks; inability to tolerate stress, and; impulsivity.

You should get a diagnosis from a psychiatrist who understands and deals with adult ADHD. He or she will offer you medications including stimulants to increase the availability of dopamine and norepinephrine, and antidepressants that will inhibit the reuptake of norepinephrine (such as SNRIs). The psychiatrist should also recommend self-help strategies, especially organizational tools that allow you to strictly monitor your time and fit in tasks, large and small, at the appropriate hour.

This information should be beneficial and reassuring.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your detailed answer. Where can I find a psychiatrist to make a diagnosis and give me the help I need If I do? and also do people with ADD have low confidence, because they may do mistakes at work?

Please send me your location and I will try to research this for you.

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Warm regards,

ELliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my location is UK, Manchester, m13 9sz. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you still researching on my last question?

Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Here are some resources to help you:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/Pages/Treatment.aspx

http://www.trafford.nhs.uk/health-a-to-z.aspx?letter=A&path=articles/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/treatment

http://www.adders.org/englandmap.htm

http://righttherapist.com/dir/therapists/greater-manchester/add-adhd/cbt/accredited/

http://www.bacp.co.uk/

People with ADD/ADHD can make more mistakes at work because of the difficulty with concentration and focus. The results of that can be more of a struggle to "keep up" with their peers. Because of the stress and difficulty, a person with ADHD can experience lower confidence and self esteem.

I hope this helps you,
Kate

Dear friend,

I'm sorry but could only find one .lead:

Dr. Sodi Mann
Greater Manchester West Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
www.gmv.nhs.uk

This is an excellent facility.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Kate,

Is this ADHD/ADD gentic? and Is it a disabillity? Should you tell this to your employer if you want to work? I personally don't think so, but this time people seem to think your not so good as others.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Kate,

Is this ADHD/ADD gentic? and Is it a disabillity? Should you tell this to your employer if you want to work? I personally don't think so, but this time people seem to think your not so good as others. Thank you for your research.

You're welcome!

It is thought that there is a genetic component to ADHD/ADD but the cause is still uncertain. It can be considered a disability if it interferes enough in your daily life. Telling your employer is a tricky situation. You may not want to if you are able to do your job fairly well and your employer is happy with your work. If you feel that you do want to tell your employer, then you may want to consider getting some opinions from an attorney or any equal employment opportunity agency (equivalent in the UK) that can advise you of your rights if your employer does hold it against you.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.