DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.

Why do I have no organizational skills? Organizing is like

Why do I have no organizational skills? Organizing is like a foreign language that I just can't understand. I can't organize my desk at work and I don't know where things belong in my own home. If I put things away it's hard to find them again so I'm always surrounded by "stuff". If someone says something like, "okay everyone, lets clean the garage", everyone starts doing something except me. I don't know what to do. Why do they all seem to know and I don't?

Is this trait typical of a certain personality type or disorder?
Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

I will give you two possibilities that may explain the root of your difficulties.

1. Perhaps you never learned organizational skills as a child. As children, we get certain "skills" from significant adults in our lives (often parents) --but in some cases these skills are not taught well or at all. Organization is just one example of many, many things that people can not get from their parents, teachers, etc for a variety of reasons. If this is indeed the case, then you can learn the skills with help and coaching.

2. What you describe is also consistent with Attention Deficit Disorder. People with ADD have tremendous difficulty organizing things, can get overwhelmed easily when faced with multiple tasks. The example of not knowing where to start with the garage is a perfect one for ADD --the task looks just too overwhelming, it's difficult to break down into small pieces, and then you just don't know what to do but give up and walk away.

People with ADD can often feel "stupid," because there's the false perception that you ought to know what to do and automatically be able to do it. However, people without ADD more naturally use organizational skills such as labeling dresser drawers --without feeling stupid!

I cannot diagnose you with ADD over the internet, but you can get an evaluation to see if you have it.

The most efficient way to diagnose ADD is through the use of a QUEEG --done by Professionals who use Neurofeedback.

Here is an article explaining the use of the QUEEG for diagnosing ADD:

And you can read about neurofeedback here:

Above all --don't beat yourself up! Whether or not you have ADD, you can get help to increase your organizational skills.

Warm Regards,

Dr. Fee
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Fee! I suspect I have ADD but since I'm not hyperactive it was overlooked in my childhood. People close to me know they have to say my name first before they start talking to me or I'm not even going to hear them because I'm either woolgathering or have tuned out my surroundings and am concentrating very hard on what I'm doing.

I had no idea not being able to organize was in any way related to ADD. I'm going to guess that my love for rules and routines and my social awkwardness and discomfort are also tied to ADD. I'll do some research now that I have a starting point to see what other things about me are ADD-related.

Thank you for the links, I'll certainly check them out. This is kind of exciting!

Best regards,

Hi Lori,

I'm glad that our interaction was helpful to you, and I hope that you've been able to find some good resources near you.

It certainly can be freeing to have a name and subsequently a plan to deal with our challenges!

Warm Regards,
Dr. Fee