Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I just took a test that I am likely to have ADHD or anxiety

Customer Question

I just took a test that I am likely to have ADHD or anxiety or depression. What is my next step?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
Let me ask you a few questions first before I offer an answer;
It sounds like you have attention difficulty, anxiety and depression.
When did this start?
Have you taken a screening test for ADHD at your doctor's office?
How are your appetite and sleep in general?
I"ll be back with my answer after I hear from you.
Best regards,
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
It sounds like you may have ADHD, anxiety and depression based on your report.
If you have ADD or ADHD, you'll have symptoms of anxiety and depression as well.
You may need to get a screening test of ADD/ADHD by your primary care doctor or a clinical psychologist.

If you have ADHD, a combination of medication (like Ritalin and Adderal) and Psychotherapy are most effective for your condition. You may need to see your primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for medication prescription.

If you are open to counseling, I advise you to see a psychologist/psychotherapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) and ADD/ADHD. Life coaching may also be helpful for you to get your job done. CBT is also effective for anxiety and depression.

You can search a licensed psychotherapist with the specialty on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Life coaching (or ADD/ADHD). Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Life coaching or Cognitive-behavior therapy . You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

There are good books to read for you: The books “The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents by Ratey” and “10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction & Accomplish Your Goals by Sarkis” may be helpful.

Here are some tips for you to improve organization. 1. External structure. Develop structure as much as possible. Clear away all distractions from your task area. 2. Make frequent use of: lists, color-coding, reminders, notes to self, rituals, and files 1. Use color coding. Color-coding deserves emphasis.Make things memorable with color: files, memoranda, texts, schedules, etc. 3. Make deadlines. 4. Break down large tasks into small ones. Attach deadlines to the small parts. Often a large task will feel overwhelming to him. The mere thought of trying to perform the task makes you turn away. On the other hand, if the large task is broken down into small parts, each component may feel quite manageable. 5. Prioritize. Avoid procrastination. When things get busy, you may lose perspective. Take a deep breath. Put first things first. Procrastination is one of the hallmarks of ADD/ADHD. You have to really discipline yourself to watch out for it and avoid it. 6. Know that it is O.K. to do two things at once: carry on a conversation and write down things in post-its, or take a shower and do his thinking, or jog and plan a business meeting. 7. Leave time between engagements to gather your thoughts. 8. Keep a notepad in your car, by your bed, and in your pocketbook or jacket. You never know when you may want to remember something else.

Please let me know if you have more questions even after getting this answer. All the best,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for all your advice. This really has started my whole life and I just did not realize it. When I was younger I was always on the go and did not see that once I grew up I write down to do lists and can never get half of them done. And I had stopped and get bored easily if I am not on the go. I will take you advice. I greatly appreciate your response!

Sincerely,

Jennifer Galatis

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
You are very welcome.
Feel free to ask me any other question if you have.
All the best,
Dr. Olsen