KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

MY SON IS 19 YR AND HAS NO HALLUCINATIONS OR DELUSIONS. VERY SENSITIVE AND ATTACHED TO MOT

MY SON IS 19 YR AND HAS NO HALLUCINATIONS OR DELUSIONS. VERY SENSITIVE AND ATTACHED TO MOTHER VERY MUCH. IS AN INTROVERT BOY.NEVER GONE OUT TO PLAY ANFHAS NO FRIRENDS .
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.
I have a few questions. Does he have difficulty making eye contact? Is he bright with good verbal skills but have a hard time with emotions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks mam for responding . He has no problem eye contacting but is very smart active n extraordinary responsible boy with very high ambitions.Has very good verbal skills but has hard time with emotions . Even small incidents he does not like, upsets him very much for days and he speaks of suicide and leaving home.we give him mtrinicalm plus as per Dr advise and he becomes normal within 30 minutes. We do not know whether he has Schizopherenia or some other similar disease.He is being treateed for SZ but we wan tto be sure . Pl give yous Phone no for sdeedy conclusions.

I shall u immediately.

A worries suffering father who can not live like this

S K SAPRA XXXXXXXXXXX India

Schizophrenia is a thought disorder, meaning it causes a person to have hallucinations and delusions. Hallucinations are seeing and hearing things that aren't real. It can sometimes effect the other senses as well. Delusions are thoughts that aren't based in reality, like believing someone is following them. You don't describe anything like that in your reply but I'm guessing those symptoms must be there or the doctor wouldn't have diagnosed your son with schizophrenia. I can understand your fear that your son may have this illness. It is a very serious and life long disorder. Treatment has gotten better over the years, and most people with schizophrenia can function well enough with the proper support if they stay on medication. My best advice is to work with the doctor seeing your son. He or she can help you understand the illness and what you can do to help your son stay has healthy as possible. Our best hope is that some day there may be better treatments or even a cure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mam.

My son has no such hallucinations or delusion right now but he has hallucinations in the night while asleep casually in his childhood when he was only 3 to 8 years and refused going to school sometimes in early years which we did not take seriously. Now 2 years ago at 17 age he refused totally going to school for a year .Now he is emotionally upset very much on trivial issues and is OK with medicine Trinicalm plus. He is afraid of small activities and jobs. he says this place is faraway . This work is very difficult .He is very much attached to his mother abnormally and gets hurt when his mother complains of any thing. He is upset on such occasions also. If i make fun with him and he is not able to cope with it he hates me and becomes upset too much.

Pl advise that he is Sz only OR he has some other disease which appears similar to SZ and misdiagnosed . Some times there is little difference in symptoms of two diseases anfd wrong medication is given for a long time with ill effects.

with regards XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX India

My original questions were based on the possibility that your son might have Asperger's Syndrome. This is developmental condition that is somewhat noticeable from early childhood but is sometimes not diagnosed until later in life. The symptoms are difficulty with understanding emotions, belief that there are strict rules that must be followed, poor eye contact, fixation on a particular interest, difficulty with social interactions, and good verbal skills. Without delusions or hallucinations it is hard for me to say why he doctor would have diagnosed your son with schizophrenia. I can't contradict the doctor with the limited information I can get over the internet. Since you have such strong doubts about the diagnosis, you might want to get a second opinion from another psychiatrist in India.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.