Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

why do I feel so depressed before my period. Its awful. Lasts

Customer Question

why do I feel so depressed before my period. Its awful. Lasts for days before and after. Its taking over my life.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 4 years ago.
This is an unfortunate symptom of PMS that some women experience. When the symptoms are severe enough to disrupt your life it may be diagnosed as Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. Someone women take antidepressants for part of the month to decrease the symptoms. Self care usually involves being in a low stimulation environment as much as possible, exercise, and making sure you eat a healthy diet. If you're interested in trying medication, you can discuss it with your family doctor or your ob/gyn.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

4 sentences hardly warrants £16 - I would have expected far more explanation and options - what a waste of time and money

Do you have specific questions I could answer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I wanted a more detailed explanation. I feel like you've taken advantage of my situation. This site is a complete con. Unless I receive a refund, I am going to make sure that this website is found on Google as a negative. What an absolute rip off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am happy to help you with more detail regarding what is clinically referred to as Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD is a condition associated with severe emotional and physical problems that are linked closely to the menstrual cycle. Symptoms occur regularly in the second half of the cycle and end when menstruation begins or shortly thereafter. PMDD is not just a new name for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a condition that affects as many as 75% of menstruating women. It is, however, considered to be a very severe form of PMS that affects about 5% of menstruating women. Both PMDD and PMS share symptoms in common that include depression, anxiety, tension, irritability and moodiness.

The core symptoms of PMDD that are similar to depression include:
-intense feelings of unhappiness
-being unable to see a positive future
-feelings of worthlessness – feeling useless at - everything
-increased sensitivity to rejection or criticism
-feeling suddenly sad or tearful
-crying a lot for no particular reason
-marked anxiety or tension – a feeling of being keyed up or on edge
-persistent and marked anger, irritability or an increase in conflicts with other people
-finding it hard to be with people, losing interest in usual activities (eg work, school, friends, hobbies)
difficulty concentrating
-feeling tired all the time, or having less energy than usual
-increases in appetite, binge or comfort eating – especially of salty or sweet foods
-sleeping more than usual, or (in a smaller group of sufferers) being unable to sleep
-feelings of being overwhelmed or out of control.

Additional detail and information about treatment is at the following link:

I trust that this detail serves to answer your question - however if you have additional questions, feel free to ask as I am happy to help.

Kindest regards,